1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zurich or Geneva?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lardprao, Sep 20, 2019.

1. lardprao

lardprao New commenter

Thinking of international primary schools in either Zurich or Geneva. Does anyone have any guidance/ advice as to which one or ones are better in either city. Have a choice as to which city to go to but more concerned for sons education rather than own teaching. Thank you.

2. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

"Better".

Define better.

I did a 3 month placement in Geneva years ago. Fabulous place but seriously seriously expensive. I think you'd need to be earning £70K plus a condo and school fees paid just to live.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

my brother in law was offered a job in Switzerland (sorry cant remember where) over 15 years ago. on paper it looked amazing €106 000 a year. but when he did his sums he found out that him and his family, wife and two kids at the time, would be left with next to nothing at the end of the month.

make sure you do your sums and research before making the jump.

4. lardprao

lardprao New commenter

Just to clarify...sadly not my own son but a friend whose total expenses are being paid. ..I’m just a teacher!
    By ‘ better’, I just mean as a teacher her what would you say is the better school.
    Thanks

5. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

German or French?

That would swing it for me.

6. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I prefer Zurich as a town to Geneva. More interesting.

7. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Agreed.

However, if you go for Geneva, it may be more practical/affordable as you could probably live in France and commute in (a friend of mine lives in Annecy and has been commuting to Geneva for the past 8 years - it saves him a packet, plus Annecy is lovely). Zurcih's further from the German border than geneva is from the French one, so I don't think it would be so practical there.

lardprao likes this.
  8. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Commuting from Annecy to Geneva every day would take its toll as you have to do the commute by car. Annecy is very nice but it is not worth it in my view.
    Geneva is deadly dull at times and ridiculously expensive. Freezing in winter with 'la bise' wind and endless days of lake fog and gloom. Summer there is stunning and that's why it is better as a place to visit in the summer.

lardprao likes this.
  9. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

Both cities have excellent schools and not so excellent schools. Happy to answer about specific, named schools in Geneva in a conversation if you like? I'm not an expert on Zurich but I'll try and help if I can.

10. lardprao

lardprao New commenter

11. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

Conversation sent!