1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zumba-nervous!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fiddlesticks81, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hello!
    I'm thinking of joining our local Zumba class, but have been putting it off for a long time for the following reasons:
    1) None of my friends/family want to come with me-will I look like a loser for turning up alone?
    2) I'm not very co-ordinated, so worried that I won't be able to keep up with the steps!
    3) Worried that parents from my school might go-ugh
    4) The website says that running trainers should preferably not be worn, but I haven't got any dance trainers or plimsols, so will wearing ordinary trainers be ok?

The class is tonight hence the anxieties! If anyone could help to put my mind at rest on any of the above I would be extremely grateful :)
    x

2. Hello!
    I'm thinking of joining our local Zumba class, but have been putting it off for a long time for the following reasons:
    1) None of my friends/family want to come with me-will I look like a loser for turning up alone?
    2) I'm not very co-ordinated, so worried that I won't be able to keep up with the steps!
    3) Worried that parents from my school might go-ugh
    4) The website says that running trainers should preferably not be worn, but I haven't got any dance trainers or plimsols, so will wearing ordinary trainers be ok?

The class is tonight hence the anxieties! If anyone could help to put my mind at rest on any of the above I would be extremely grateful :)
    x

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It'll be fun!
    I'd be more worried that I might wet myself.....

4. Ordinary trainers will be fine - or you can do it in bare feet.
    Go along and have some fun - and who cares who is there? Everyone will be just as unfit and uncoordinated - and you will all enjoy it.
    Go do it xxx
    P.S. Remember to breathe and smile :eek:)

5. And most importantly - no, you won't look like a loser for turning up alone. You will look like someone with great self-confidence who doesn't rely on others to do something she wants to do.
    And you will make friends.
    And you will have fun.
    And not regret it.
    Go for it.

6. It does depend on the floor but unless it is sprung I would NOT do Zumba in bare feet.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Do it! If you don't like it, don't do it again. The advantage of these "social" classes is that there is something to "do", so you won't feel like a plonker, trying to break into conversations...

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

LOL me too Dunteachin!

9. Yes, but the lovely thing is that afterwards conversations start...
    i hope the OP went along.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've just got back from my zumba class. No-one will be looking at you, except possibly to check that what they are doing is right but it doesn't really matter if you get it 'wrong'. it's dance and people put as much flourish or personality into as they wish (or none). At my class people of all ages take part at their own level and just have a wonderful, uninhibited time

11. I've been to zumba twice so far. I was better this week than last week and I reckon I will do better agian next time.
    I stand at the back. I join in when I can and laugh when I can't. Noone is looking at you as everyone is too busy trying to follow the steps themselves. Those who can do the steps don't look at you because they are too busy concentrating. There are lots of people making mistakes ( I only know this because I was at the back and I kept stopping. Its great fun. You will make friends. Ordinary trainers are fine but think about getting some that will absorb some impact eventually - I found it hard on my feet this week when I wore my everyday trainers.
    My biggest recommendation would be to wear a suitable pad if you have any "leakage" issues.

12. Thank you all so much for your replies, you all helped enormously in making my mind up to go! I really enjoyed it and everyone seemed really friendly which is great. The instructor came up to me at the end and asked if I enjoyed it and she said 'don't worry that you don't know what you're doing and everyone else does, you'll pick it up!' Cringe :)

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I think that you just spoiled my day...

14. Happy to read that you went along and enjoyed it, Fiddle!

15. @10
    Am I very dim or just very old? What's the difference between 'every day trainers' and those suitable for zumba? I don't wear trainers 'every day', so how would I be able to tell, please?!

16. About £65 if you believe the hyperbollocks.

17. you need to do some sliding in zumba - if your trainers are too grippy, you'll struggle.

18. Thanks Bauble. Got the idea!

19. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Glad you went - I LOOOOOVE zumba! I crash around at the backa dn have a great time - and I'm seeing great results!!
    Really, though,if you go for it and go regularly, you will NEED either gym shoes or dance trainers. You need a 'spin spot' because there is too much grip on a regular running or cross training shoe to cope with the twisty movements. You WILL knacker your knees (as I did), and it's blooming painful and takes a while of the old heat and ice to get better if you don't have suitable footwear. Check out the soles of your shoes. Dance trainers are remarkably cheap (mine were about £25) - have a look on the interweb to get the idea. (I have some really funky ones that make me feel like a kid from fame! I really need to some legwarmers...)
    Did you move like Jagger?[​IMG]

20. I LOVE Zumba too!! It's the best thing ever invented! It's made my retirement an absolute joy for the past year!