1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zumba afterschool club

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher1212, Dec 30, 2012.

1. I teach the dance club afterschool and have been doing zumba at my local gym. I would feel confident teaching it but just wondered if anyone else has done this in their primary school. Think the children would really enjoy it.
    Obviously some of the moves can be inappropiate but I would probably keep it more salsa-based.
    Can anyone help/views?

2. I think its a fab idea. I have been to a zumba class and really enjoyed it, so I'm sure the children would too.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Perhaps, but you should not refer to it as 'Zumba' unless you are an accredited instructor with appropriate Zumba Academy certification, even if your activities are limited to pupils at the school and you do the club for free.
    Either get yourself accredited and certificated to avoid accusations from your local properly certificated Zumba Instructor who accuses you of invading her territory, or just call it Latin Dance and Fitness (or something similar).

4. d43587

d43587 New commenter

We have had zumbatonic in our school and have some more sessions planned afterschool in Spring term. The children love it. We have a qualified instructor who comes in and delivers it.

5. Thanks for your responses!

6. I am. Zumba instructor and yr 1 teacher. On the basic one course they made it very clear that Zumba in not appropriate for children. There is zumbatonic that is the kid alternative but you have to be qualified to teach this and there are significant differences to adult Zumba. You really must be qualified to do anything that has association with Zumba.