1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zooming with Infants

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stresagirl, Jun 20, 2020.

1. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

Gearing up this week to reconnect with my year 1s bringing together online those I see in school and those staying at home.

Has anyone got an positive experiences of this and any tips to share please?

Thinking of a story, scavenger hunt and some questions and games. Conscious of parents in the background and keen to maintain a good but controlled session. Mute mics or just hands up to speak? Slightly anxious of having to admit so many in such a short space of time without technical issues. Sure it could be fun!!

install likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Gosh that's going to be a challenge.

Could you have a random name-in-the hat / name on a stick for answers / to speak?

Perhaps plan to give an idea at the start of the session, ie here is what I need the answers to / get you to find in 10 mins time, so if there is an issue with technology you have a back-up plan?

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

DEFINITELY all mics muted!

4. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I was on the parent side of this seeing my KS1 child Zooming her teacher and classmates. I also used video conferencing with my older pupils. How many kids do you expect to have in the call?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I teach a younger group, but it's all working out much easier than I expected.
    Having mics muted is really hard as you are talking to total silence and sometimes it's nice to hear just how much parents are 'helping' their child in the lesson. Or to hear the really shy children chatting away to an older sibling as they complete an activity. I sometimes have them all on, all off, some on and some off, just depends on what's going on.

Yours are a bit older, so can almost certainly be taught in the first session how the mic and hands up tools work. Almost all my older ones (4 year olds) can do both independently and all (2-4 year olds) can 'press the red button' at the end of the call. Taking a 'register' works well for practising turning on and off their mics.

We do playdough and craft activities with all, and some cooking and snack preparation.

We also use the share screen for some stories (book trust and youtube have lots). Sometimes we turn the sound off and read the book ourselves and sometimes leave the sound and let whoever is on there read the book. We also move the laptop top a bit to show a book on the desk so we can read it ourselves and point to pictures/words on the page.

Show and tell works well. Mics off for all but the child talking and hands up too if they want to ask a question.

The hardest part now is managing those in the class, who have to be more or less silent and immaculately behaved as you have to have your mic on, while teaching those at home in front of parents. Don't be afraid to say to the parents something like 'ooops just need to sort out a bit of a child problem in the class, back in a moment.' and turn off the camera and mic to deal with whatever and then pop back on with a smile.

stresagirl and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

3 groups of 10 this week. The whole class next week!

7. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

With the groups of 10 you probably could have the mics on, if ne person is being very dominant you can always mute them! With 30 I’d have them all arrive muted.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

To be fair I'd like to do that in real life some days! :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

How is it going? I have been teaching 20 Year 2s on Zoom for the past three months. I usually have everyone muted to avoid disruption from background noise in 20 different homes. They raise their hand if they want to say something, but sometimes I ask children at random for their answer/idea/suggestion. Amazingly they are almost always listening to me. I've found some activities that work really well online, and some that I think might work but don't in reality!