1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zones ... who needs 'em?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rashernull, Sep 19, 2016.

1. I am inspired to create this topic because of having to deal with vets quite a lot recently. To cut a long story short I had to put my elderly dog to sleep (no worries he had a long and happy life) , and the vet fees included the cost of cremation, and the dear old pooch was greater than such and such weight but less than such and such weight so placing him in a certain cost zone.

OK, I understand that heavier dogs are going to cost more to cremate than little 'uns, but why have zones and not a formula? Surely a formula would reflect the true cost more accurately. On the same theme but potentially far more critical is the issue of medication. Even the amount of medication I had to administer in his ill health was zoned according to his weight! I know Nature abhors a vacuum but I am equally sure it tramples on man made zones.

So I am left pondering whether it is a fear of lack of mathematical understanding on the part of the general populace that has resulted in the prevalence of rather inappropriate and clumsy zones.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

If you go to a car park in Spain you are charged properly, ie if you are there for 1 hr 5 mins you pay for that and not for 3 hours. Not sure what they do for dog cremations though. It will be because someone has realised they can make more money through zonal charges.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I got into terrible trouble with my daughter for giving her two spoonfuls of hayfever medicine instead of one. I hadn't looked carefully enough and for 2-12 year olds, it's one spoonful if they're under 30kg and two if they're over. In her eyes, I gave her twice her dose, although she's over 27kg. Given that she had very suddenly come down with really bad hayfever, I think two spoonfuls the first day was probably a good thing.

Formulae clearly have to make more sense, but I guess they don't trust us to work it out, on the whole. When my daughter had her first jabs, she was officially too small (having been premature) for Calpol. I asked the pharmacist as advised, and was told I could scale down the lowest dose. Again, "ask your pharmacist" is maybe safer than "use this formula for smaller babies".

When the "functional" GCSE questions first came in, I remember my year 10s tackling a question about cost of flights with baggage - lots got it wrong because they assumed that the baggage costs would be pro-rata for lighter bags!