1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zones of regulation

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by star100, Jan 24, 2019.

1. star100

star100 New commenter

Hi just wondering before I invest has anyone used this and was it any good if so? Thanks

2. menhir

menhir New commenter

Yes we use zones in our school. It is well received by the students and easy to use. Even the class staff use it too to model and say how they feel. This is our second year and it is used for all students 4yrs to 18 in ASD, sensory and structured classes.

3. hwells5

hwells5 New commenter

I have recently completed professional learning for Zones of Development and ASD and have found that implementing the suggested strategies have assisted immensely for both teacher and the students in the learning environment. I have also found that by implementing the Zones of Regulation it has enabled me to have a better understanding and awareness of where my students are at and what exactly I need to do to ensure my students are 'ready to learn'.

I have employed the traffic light system where by students are asked how they are feeling.
    Green: "Good to go" Happy, positive, ready to learn, focused, content
    Yellow: "Proceed with caution" Stress, frustration, anxiety, excitement, confusion
    Red: "Stop/ Out of control" Anger, rage, panic, terror, elation, explosive behaviour

When students are able to acknowledge what colour zone their in, they can then use strategies to calm down and regain control.

It’s important to remember that no feelings are ‘bad feelings’, not even anger. What’s important is the reaction in heightened states of arousal (i.e. yellow or red zones). Yellow and Red feelings can prompt unhelpful reactions, but if the above framework is used to assess feelings and reflect on what can be done to be closer to Green, you’ll find students tend to be less reactive and more in control, especially when strong emotions arise.

I would love to know if anyone has also employed this method and what successes they may have also had.

4. carly_legg1

carly_legg1 New commenter

This is fantastic! I have also used this in my classroom and I think it’s amazing that you made the point of children becoming less reactive and more in control because that’s exactly what I found with my students! I found children became more aware of their feelings and were able to identify certain ‘tools’ such as use a breathing ball or fidget toy to help them calm down back to the green zone.