1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zones and bubbles... is there really a point?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Sep 4, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Ok early days and they can be modified and re worked but I’m already having serious doubts.

1 kids are arriving at school same time as all other year groups so even though they go to different entry points they are mixing. Obvious results.

2 some are going to breaks at same time eg y8/10 and same exit points. Obvious answer is to stagger end of lesson time.

3 staff are moving around to classes and being potential spreaders or will pick up from kids however much they try to keep 2m apart. Obvious results.

4 even if bubbles done mix, they will on school buses. Again, obvious results.

5 even if they don’t mix on buses, then they go home to siblings and other friends. Obvious results.

6 there is no social distancing in ANY year group 7–13. Kids are sitting in normal formation. Obvious results.

so what do I suggest?

abandon zones as impractical. Let normal flow of kids around school, stagger lesson times of each year group so they never get the chance to mix or it is reduced. At present it’s a joke. Will be only a matter of time before R rate rises. You can still keep kids in school but REDUCE risk of adults spreading because teacher movements are significantly reduced.

wear masks AT LEAST around the school as well. Currently this is not mandatory at our place.

I’m open to persuasion. But zones can’t last long at this rate. Sorry but best way is to allow staggered times and reduce bottle necks and reduce teacher/adult movement.

And I’ve not even got to serious mental Heath issues over reduced lunch hours, and impact on teachers having to supervise classes at lunchtime because of lack of manpower.

thoughts please as I am quite worried this evening that I’m going to catch it by my increased mobility around the school.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No.

It's to give the impression of safety.

3. red_observer

But it’s not safe.

the secondary school next to us isn’t zoning and has 1000 kids

tall tales, Marshall, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

No.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. red_observer

Because?

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

How does that work? You'd need three or four times the number of staff. Or you'd have to redo timetables so that each teacher only teaches one year group.

Apart from that, I completely agree.
    Yes.
    An absolute joke.
    I'll give it two weeks tops under the current Year group non bubble situation. And then it will either be revised from the top or we'll be back into a second spike.
    But we knew that, didn't we.
    Pfft.

7. red_observer

Yes I’m fearing the worst

Nanny Ogg, sbkrobson and agathamorse like this.
  8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

You are not alone.
    These zones all cease to exist outside the school gates when siblings and mates all meet up for a companionable trip home. The reasoning behind it being ' track and trace' assumes that the child will catch/spread covid while inside a bubble and not during the rest of the day/night when they're not in school. bonkers.
    Already, we are seeing kids trying to sneak short cuts to buildings where they share bubbles.
    I'd advocate a mix because that's the way it already is. It would take the stress off everyone.
    You're right to be concerned about catching it and I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it'll come my way.
    We wear masks whenever we move from one bubble zone to another -if i do not teach in that zone.

The bad weather hasn't hit us yet but when it does, we'll be required to supervise hot kids in steamy classrooms during wet break. Fun.
    Lunch ? Break ? Things of the past, consigned like the handshake and kiss on the cheek to the growing heap of victims to Covid-19.

ShowerGel, LiamD, Marshall and 9 others like this.
  9. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-hypocrisy-over-speech-to-packed-tory-meeting

Boris Johnson was accused of hypocrisy as his office warned Britons against breaking pandemic social-distancing rules, just minutes after the prime minister addressed a meeting of Conservative lawmakers he described as packed in “cheek by jowl.”

At least 50 Tory members of Parliament crammed into the parliamentary meeting room on Wednesday evening for the meeting, despite a sign on the door warning only 29 should be allowed in to limit the spread of coronavirus. And Johnson even commented on how he wanted people to be packed together in the same way by Christmas, according to two people at the meeting.

Just 40 minutes after it finished, the prime minister’s office sent a tweet warning people not to attend gatherings of more than 30 people.

"Gatherings of more than 30 people are illegal. Breaking the rules could cost you thousands.

If you attend an illegal gathering, you could be fined £100, increasing on each offence up to £3,200.
    pic.twitter.com/4QXz0FQ3hL

— UK Prime Minister (@10Downingstreet) September 2, 2020"

10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Well they can come and fine my play area which hosts over 200 or my classroom which has 33.

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We're the wrong species to try to deal with a pandemic. Britain will be in nationwide lockdown by 30th November.

We'll never come out of it again. People just can't do lockdown and the weather is going to be cold. Once the snow is on the ground, we're finished.

It's better we finish ourselves off sooner than later. Of course, the problem is we're so incompetent at even killing ourselves off.

hankay likes this.
  12. red_observer

Absolutely great post.

Bubbles won’t reduce it at all.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not sure of the solution.
    Bubbles worked in small schools with a fraction of the kids in.
    Keeping classes in the same rooms reduces transmission risks, but the children will get restless if they can't stretch their legs. Some classes may have behaviour problems while unsupervised, although this of course will be the fault of the teachers who aren't there.

14. red_observer

Another great post.

kids will be unsupervised between lessons and for large parts of lunch. Recipe for disaster in schools.

kids staying in the same room all day unable to move will develop serious mental health issues over time

teachers being forced to do unpaid work and constantly on the job will just not come into school eventually.

So before this goes pear shaped with serious negative results let’s end bubbles now... let’s return to normal lessons but stagger end and start times. No need to re do timetables and keep teachers away from being Covid carriers and let kids enjoy their education instead of work in an environment that just makes them more anxious.

sorry but we have DfE personnel and SLT in schools who are completely divorced from realty... as they usually are but now being found out as inept.

Marshall, Laphroig and Catgirl1964 like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The intention of the government, as already stated many times in many places, is to "kick-start" the economy. Thats it. That is their only goal. The reasons should be obvious to anyone. The reasons for the late start, late response, u turns, lies followed by more lies, and even more lies, and further lies, lack of preparedness etc all well documented are the same. They have one goal. It is what Tories live for. It is crashing down around their ears and will continue to do so. The only ones making vast profits in this country are the undertakers.

16. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Well don't! Fear and worry only makes you ill, or at least more likely to catch any bug that's going around.

All you have to do is assess if you are at particular risk due to an existing health issue, including being grossly overweight.

If you are, then you should not be mixing in large groups with anyone, though you are safer with lots of kids than with lots of adults.

If you are not, then provided you don't go around hugging strangers and are generally sensible, then your chances of catching this virus are very low.

More importantly, even if you do catch it, your chances of dying from it are less than your chances of dying from ordinary seasonal flu.

In the interests of honesty, I have to say that it is statistically possible, though incredibly unlikely, that you could be one of the very few younger/healthy people who catch this and die for some unaccountable reason as yet not understood.

Additional factors which can affect the statistics relate to where you live: if you live in an apartment block in south London, or a similar place, the chances of catching the bug go up; if you live on a farm on Exmoor, your chances go down.

It's all been hyped up for political reasons. The hundreds of thousands of UK deaths they foresaw haven't happened. Nor will they. We'll look back on this in a couple of years with amazement...

Relax and start enjoying life and your work with the kids again. They need you, like they need all of us teachers. I wish you well!

Kandahar, agathamorse and artboyusa like this.
  17. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

@red_observer I'm sorry to hear about your first week back. It does sound very stressful.
    My background is primary so the bubbles and staggered times made sense to me but I can see that it's pretty unworkable in a secondary.
    Maybe there will be a rethink on masks for secondary schools. If they have to be used , at least in corridors etc then maybe that will help.
    How do others in your school think red? Is there a chance you could discuss concerns and solutions with SMT so that things improve?
    I hope things are better next week.

18. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Today I saw pupils from the same school and obviously different years walking home together. Close together, pushing and playing would be a fair description. Siblings in the same school but different years obviously makes bubbles questionable as well.

I suppose on a larger scale reducing the occasions for transmission makes sense. The hygiene and other precautions may well add up to being more than a phycological prop for worryingly parents.

Catgirl1964, Marshall and Jamvic like this.
  19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No.

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  20. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

I think some posters are missing a salient point, which is that the zoning, bubbling, masks and the rest of the paraphernalia is not to safeguard the health of the children, but to safeguard fhe schools against legal action by the parents.

If a school can be shown to have secure measures against cross infections in place on school premises, when the second wave [which has already begun] hits the schools they will be proof against legal action by parents if it can be shown that infections were passed on outside the jurisdiction of the school. Hence the immense publicity operation by schools.

Companies such as Coronavirus Compensation Limited [registered at Companies' House on March 20, 2020 by one Mark Anthony Feldman, a British Virgin Islander with a - well, let us say colourful business history] are poised to take on cases of this kind.