1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zombie attack!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LeicsterTiger, Jul 3, 2013.

1. LeicsterTiger

LeicsterTiger New commenter

My school breaks up on Friday the 19th and on that Fridaythey are having a fun day, so y6. They have been fantastic recently and reading a high level of books which is starting to seep into their writing and communication and both boys and girls are getting absorbed into horror books. So I am using this to get some horror writing from them.

I have already decided to come into the school on tues complaining to them I am ill and set them boring deadpan lessons before break. Over break I will 'zombie' up and give them a little scare when they come in. I already have my writing lessons planned from their but this does not take up the entire 3 days so I wouldn't mind trying to get other lesson ideas that fit into horror/zombies so I can keep a general theme and keep them engaged.

Any ideas would be great.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I am all for fun but I wouldn't do this, some children might not cope.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Do they ALL read horror books? I have to say that I don't read horror books or watch horror movies, and I would not really want my child to have to get into that particular genre.

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Great idea. The kids will love it.

Something tells me you won't get much support from the Ancien Regime on here though.

5. frosting

frosting New commenter

How well do you know your childrens parents? I know as a parent i wouldnt be happy if my daughter came home and told me about her teacher dressing up as a zombie to frighten the class. In one of my placements each class worked on a project which was shown to parents and one class chose to do a most haunted theme project. The parents were less than happy and the teacher received a dressing down for it. You might feel that all of your children will be accepting of and enjoy the lesson but make sure you have considered the wider repercussions. Perhaps discuss it with your senior management team to see how they feel about it. That way if issues arise you know you will have their support.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I suppose I must be part of the Ancient Regime. Because I don't have the mentality of a 14-year old, and I can see that some parents would be really upset by this plan, however much 'fun' it is. Teacher dressing up as a Zombie? Why? Also I don't know if your school is a Church school, but I know that in mine, we are not even allowed to mention the word 'witch' never mind 'zombie'. (Mind you, we do make a damned fine Zombie cocktail in the staffroom towards the end of term....)