1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zoe Ball..........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lrw22, Oct 3, 2018.

1. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Chris Evans is just awful. Unlistenable. I listen to 5 live in the morning and R2 on the way home. Although it was much better before Jo Whiley gegged in. Radcliffe and Maconie on R6 music is always worth a listen but sadly I have no dab in the car.

lardylegs likes this.
  2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I hadn't realised that there were so many different breakfast shows. Everyone should be able to find one which suits!!:)

3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Good for her...... but who's writing the strap lines?!! IMG_1968.PNG

nomad, lrw22, coffeekid and 1 other person like this.
  4. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

What about Zoe Ball? Every time i stick the radio on its either the news or advertising crapp. I swear down that in the space of 20 minutes i only heard one song played on the radio.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

At least it's a woman. Fed up of the radio being full of men from dawn til dusk. I like Lisa Tarbuck but she only does two hours on a Saturday evening.

vannie and Dragonlady30 like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Did you never listen to Sarah Kennedy doing the Dawn Patrol? I mention her name, partly to disprove that radio was full of men from dawn to dusk; and partly to comment that if it wasn't bad enough to get up at the crack of dawn to drive north, I had to suffer her privileged middle class, home counties witterings about where to find a gardener who didn't tread mud into the conservatory when offered a cup of tea or the like.

7. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Did she have an issue with drink? I have a vague recollection that she was either accused of sounding drunk during her shows or she had a condition that affected her speech. I could Google but can't be bothered.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have no idea. All I can tell you is that I lived among the people in the part of the old she too lived and personified. It wasn't the easiest job in the world to find one like her that didn't drink more than they ought.

However she was able to clock on at the BBC in time for her programme, which I'd had never been able to do if I'd been in the likes of their company. Maybe @Jude Fawley is better able to advise whether she indulged as much as she suggested or if it was all an act.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

She lived here in this village about one minute's walk away from where I live and her toyboy lived in the house next door to this one. She was well known for her drinking.

A couple of years before I moved here in 2014.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

For those who like wogans janet and john stories

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I never had much time for Terry Wogan, but several years ago I heard that he was the only presenter in the entire Children in Need event who insisted on being paid - £12000 for the night. Kind of put me off him even more.
    I have to add that I am not an accountant for the BBC, so there may not be any truth in the news report.

nomad likes this.
  12. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Oh I really hope not. How horrible if it was true- but we'll never know. I always really liked him, from him being in the background before school as a child to listening to him on the way to school as an adult.

13. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I admit, I probably shouldn't have said "dawn" as I am never up then. Never heard that show and never likely to, either.

14. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

That is completely true and it continued for many years.

When asked about it, he said, "they paid me, so I never questioned it".

nomad likes this.
  15. mothorchid

@baxterbasics - What a nasty thing to have confirmed. I heard it many years ago and have wondered (from time to time) how true it was. I fear from this "When asked about it, he said, "they paid me, so I never questioned it"." that he didn't then hand the money over. Oh dear.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

According to Wiki he was reported to be the only celebrity paid for his participation in Children in Need, having received a fee every year since 1980 (£9,065 in 2005). Wogan stated that he would have done it for nothing and that he "never asked for a fee". Wogan donated his BBC fees to the charity.

However, critics argue that too much of the charity's income is spent on running costs. The 2016 accounts show the number of charity employees at its HQ in Salford had gone up from 96 in 2015 to 104 last year. In all, £4.4 million was spent on staff costs in 2016 – up marginally from the year before.

By comparison, other children’s charities spent significantly less per person than the £42,000 average Children In Need spent on its staff.

The latest accounts for Children 1st, for example, showed that it spent £6.96m on wages for its 201 employees, an average of £34,600 per employee, while Barnardos spent £165m on its 8270 staff across the UK, an average of just £20,000 per worker.

It is unclear what the CEO Simon Antrobus is now being paid but Children In Need’s website say the salary is £115,000 per year.

17. mothorchid

There are hints of some of the issues which affected Kids Company here. The whole area of running costs for charities is a difficult one.
    Obviously, a worker should be paid an appropriate amount for the work done, but how is this amount judged by different charities? I also wonder how many of the staff @nomad references above are full time, for example.
    But a charity, of all businesses, has a duty to cost things as effectively and efficiently as possible, surely? Within the ethical boundries that such a business adopts.

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I don't like adverts, but the worst is they mouth off far too much instead of playing the music.