1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zoe Ball..........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lrw22, Oct 3, 2018.

1. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

...I was really hoping for Sara Cox!

Ivartheboneless and Jesmond12 like this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

They're all the same to me. I thought she was the one who ruined Simon Mayo's Drivetime but that turned out to be Jo Whiley. All graduates of the ladette school of peroxide DJ girlies.

lardylegs and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Radio 4 it is then

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

To be honest, if they had a garden slug presenting the morning drive time programme from the perspective of how he enjoyed destroying someone's crops it would be an improvement on Chris Evans.

It's beyond me how that waste of a skin was ever allowed airtime, let alone be paid the ridiculous amount he got.

It should be simple enough to find out who was the most popular presenter of that slot, work out what his magic was all about and find someone who understands it too; and is able to build on that legacy, shouldn't it?

Is that going to be Zoe Ball?

Ray Moore was a hard act to follow, but I have to give it to Terry Wogan, that with the help of many others, that Ray Moore didn't enjoy, the morning drive time slot got better. If it was a fair contest between only Ray Moore and Terry Wogan, I suspect Ray Moore would come out on top by a whisker.

But just supposing we had the benefit of the legend that Joe Frank was to wake us up with his surreal sense of humour to put a smile on our faces as we endured the misery of traffic jams on our way to work...

Who wouldn't be disappointed when the traffic began to flow again?

monicabilongame and sannas like this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've never heard of Joe Frank. I cried real tears when El Tel left. Soothing, quietly jovial, knowing exactly the right distance to keep - I'm not a morning person and he is the only media presence I could ever tolerate on the commute. Chris Evans' boisterous puppy got right up my nose.

lardylegs and vannie like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

He was a Yankee presenter who died this year and was mourned by people who were spellbound by the way his mind could concoct surreal scenarios and run with them in real time, live on air.

When we think back to Terry Wogan's contribution to radio, I think we'd all agree the peak of his career culminated in the drive time slot; and in particular, the hilarious Janet and John sketches. They were great, but always scripted for him. Joe Frank was more in the Kenny Everrett mould but not as zany. He was able to engage his audience into the bizarre for far longer. Kenny Everrett's flights of fancy lasted a fleeting second, but Joe Frank would draw his audience in for minutes.

In both instances it done on the hoof.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well yes-I don't know what they're thinking of, putting peroxided people on the radio.

Dragonlady30 and Flanks like this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

An aside . I don't listen to the radio much these days..... and if I did I doubt R2 would attract ..... . it all became very frantic, breathy, over the top and gimmicky with the talentless Evans and I stopped tuning in very quickly on my way to work . Suspect Zoe Ball will deliver in a similar fashion. I recall Ray Moore and rated. Wogan and team a class act. (So sorry to hear about Mark Radcliffe. Never caught his stuff on the radio but v much enjoyed his books - wishing him a full recovery)

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Had to look up the Mark Radcliffe news( tongue/lymph node cancer). Oh dear. I really like him and have enjoyed him on 6music. Let's hope he comes through well.

Zoe Ball is OK. She was on the breakfast show on R1 in the 90s I suppose. I used to like her then.

vannie likes this.
  11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think Mayo did the breakfast slot when dinosaurs roamed the earth ? I recall liking him /his competitions - one here he played sound effects and you had to guess the song title ?

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've never listened to Radio 2 in my life

So I don't care.

lindenlea likes this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm not a R2 listener either. R4 or 6music or possibly Classic FM. I have friends who love R2 - love the playlists and the presenters but I just find it really dull.

14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I would have preferred Sarah Cox who always used to stand in for Chris Evans when he was away. I rarely listen to Radio 2 and I prefer Absolute radio. Up until earlier this year the breakfast show with Christian O’Connell and Richie Firth was the best show around until CO left to emigrate to Melbourne in Australia.

Their last show was very emotional and I had to stop the car when listening to the last 30 minutes as I couldn’t see for the tears in my eyes.

I now go to sleep listening to OC’s breakfast show on Gold 104.3 or listen to the daily podcast which is so funny. Give it a try ... the Aussie humour is so infectious.

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Radio 1?

I thought Tony Blackburn did all that stuff? No? Oh.

Aquamarina1234 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've always been a Radio 2 fan of the breakfast show. Yes, Ray Moore and Tel were just fab, but I have enjoyed Chris Evans too. I think Zoe Ball will be good too frenetic as she was at one she's not quite as she once was.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This household always used to listen to Radio 2 for breakfast but i stopped listening and endured when Chris Evans came along.I actually enjoy listening to music but found he would talk over the front or end of the music and the other day talked all the way through a piece of music with irrelevant comments.
    I am sure he is nice enough guy,but he is not my sort..wife prefers Ray Moore or Jeremy Vine on later.
    In the car I only listen to R2 when wifes in the car with me,otherwise its R4 or classic FM or even Gold(although a lack of originality of choice on that one means I turn off it after short while.
    I used to love listening to my CD's but modern cars dont play cd's anymore uness you buy a player which means you can use without stopping the car
    Ah the joys of listening Opera on ones own in the car...not a clue what they are singing but the pure emotion in the voice can melt me to tears :p `mens voices that is, i find women singing annoying to some extent ,although I really fancy Kathrine Jenkins!:rolleyes:

18. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

They are all overpaid.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Maybe Sara Cox didn't want it? She has young children doesn't she?

lardylegs likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have a friend who has the morning slot on local commercial radio. He does a good job and has a lot of listeners. I told him to put his CV into the BBC. He just laughed. Pity he would have been a good fit.