1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zimshutdown

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jul 8, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've always been amazed at Robert Mugabe's ability to survive even as his country has gone to the dogs... is his time up? Who knows... but a Pastor has been calling for a Shutdown and the people have listened... they just didn't go to work. Sure, there were protests but it was quiet...

[​IMG]

Source: https://twitter.com/Lean3JvV/status/750660621604118528/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This story has a bit more to it... warning it is the Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-new-protest-politics-taking-root-in-zimbabwe

Who knows where this will all lead... Mugabe is a survivor... but at 92 you can only survive for so long.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Has Jerry Hall been told? :p

Other than that, any way of removing Mugabe must be praiseworthy.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I believe she's eager and keen... just waiting for Rupert the Bear to kick it...

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

His African dream has plunged his country into deeper poverty.What was once an exporter of food to Africa has become a gross importer.
    h
    He is acting in true tribal chief ways..but till the folks change their cultural views I am unsure the country will change....he never learnt from Uganda's mistakes. and Idi Amins rule.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

All anyone can do is hope that a popular uprising in Zimbabwe doesn't result in too many deaths among the bold, and that when the old git finally kicks the bucket, a peaceful transition to a democracy like the civilised world enjoys, occurs.

It fills me with sadness to know that it isn't going to be as simple as that for those poor people who've lived so long under that brutal regime.

It fills me with even greater sadness to know that Zimbabwe will be high on the list of countries the Brexiters will be anxious to be increasing trade with, now they've screwed the economy we had.

dominant_tonic likes this.