1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zimbabwe coup?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 15, 2017.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sadly no... I'd like to...

I have a few friends from my school days that live in South Africa... but I've noticed an increasing negativity in their posts of late.

2. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Better the Chinese than American or European.

Less bloodshed.

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It appears that you can't count all coups as coups
    Or even count coup on coups....

Confused? You will be.....

The above may confuse posters of a tender age

racroesus and vinnie24 like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is not Mugabe's coup
    [​IMG]

5. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

That took me back a few years:cool:

Didactylos4 likes this.
  6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Maybe all that is right but I see this as an internal power struggle within ZANU PF and not much change in the direction of policy. A bit post Stalin with a Khrushchev type figure emerging.

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"I've not actually read 1984..." he says.
    Maybe it's time you did.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My goodness! I would agree with that!

red_observer likes this.
  9. red_observer

Maybe you should do your own thing and stop telling me what to do.... how ironic is that? Not a clever post was it now :(

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No he's right... you should read 1984.

artboyusa likes this.
  11. red_observer

I should do what I want. I know about it of course. Do you and others have a list of books you want me to read???

vinnie24 likes this.
  12. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Have you read 'Animal Farm'? That's the Orwell novel which will endure, I believe.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

He won't go voluntarily because once he is no longer head of state he loses immunity from prosecution. He knows that the only way to stay out of court is to die in office.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK, note to self, don't recommend books to Red Observer, he finds that offensive...

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm surprised we're getting this fluffy version of coups ... the Turkish military managed to botch theirs and Zimbabwe seems to be trying to lever Mugabe out instead of doing a Romania on him.

I'd have thought there was enough evidence for a trial.

MikeyGrzz likes this.
  16. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I think that maybe it's because Mugabe is not without support, particularly from the so-called 'war veterans'. This group, as we have seen in previous incidents, are violent individuals who have benefitted greatly from Mugabe's rule and helped create a climate of fear, particularly around 'election' time.

The Army may be taking the approach it has to keep a lid on them.

lanokia likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's the most likely reason aye...

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The Saudis might spirit him away.

19. MikeyGrzz

MikeyGrzz New commenter

Africans have a huge amount of respect for their elders, especially in Muagbe's case where he had a fundamental role in ending Smith's regime and a lot of the older male generation fought alongside him, which is a big part of the reason why he held on to power for so long, and which is the reason why he'll probably never stand trial.

Grace on the other hand, had nothing to do with the fight for independence and furthermore she is not seen as a true Zimbo. She was born in South Africa but belongs to the same Shona tribe as the boss. The Shona (under Mugabe) were responsible for the ethnic cleansing of the rival Ndembele back in the 80's.

So now we have even more more cooks wanting a stir of the pot.

20. red_observer

come on...stop it. There is a DIFFERENCE between TELLING me what to read and what to RECOMMEND...you are not stupid and your post was a tad patronising... :)

vinnie24 likes this.