1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zimbabwe coup?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 15, 2017.

1. MikeyGrzz

MikeyGrzz New commenter

Has anyone else here actually spent any time in sub-Sahara Africa?

Mugabe's regime was supported by the Chinese as are many other regimes in the region. Go to any major airport in Africa and you'll see planeloads of Chinese being shipped in. This is a different type of colonialism; brown envelopes for contracts. There is no FCPA or SOx in China, they only subscribe to HSE where they have to, and guess what...they were invited in!

nomad and racroesus like this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You'll be playing O'Brien to my Winston?

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm being reactive. I warned against Khomeini. I thought that the Shah was a nasty piece of work. I thought that America's role in ousting Allende was shameful, although Allende was no saint.
    People don't tend to support those who come to power from the right but tend to be blind about those from the left. My bias is a reflection of the bias in the arguments and paeans coming from many on the left.

artboyusa likes this.
  4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

ive not actually read 1984 and cant be bothered to google. I quite like your posts but sometimes you tend to want to try to belittle me.

5. red_observer

democratically elected though of course?
    you must seriously misunderstand me about this.
    I am on the Left for sure but I don't see it as a homogenous group, rather a series of groups that are broadly travelling the same way. Some fall off the road, some take a sharp turn backwards, some try to destroy the road. Mugabe was the latter. As for the Right, they are going the wrong way so its my job to get them to turn around or as in the case of WW2 to obliterate them!!

slingshotsally likes this.
  6. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Build the camps and have your own year zero. Jeez, you post disturbing stuff.

7. red_observer

I beg your pardon? T R O L L ing is banned you know....
    I am quite happy to say I would have been happy to have obliterated Nazism. Both my dad and his brothers fought against them, one of my uncles died fighting them. I would obliterate Nazism myself...perhaps yes sticking them in prison. I have no idea why you decide to misrepresent me but then you are a successful t r o wwwllll.... :(

8. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

You said
    If I have misunderstood, you need to be more clear in your posting e.g. Nothing about Nazis in your post.

9. red_observer

er WW2? World War 2? Nazis? Hitler?

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Didn't world war two see the rise of other evils even though initially they were against the fascism of Italy ,the rise of the Nazi;s i Germany and the imperialists of Japan. or the rise of Franco in Spain.
    I find it offensive that if any one differs from your view you have to spite to label them idiots,or racist,or Nazis!
    You may disagree with my view and your spleen against my seeming ( in your eyes) stupid posts, but you have a right to a view but not to a labeling of people, unless you can personally prove and show your comments are true and fair.
    You come out with more weird statements than myself and when it is pointed out the strangeness some of them claim you where misinterpreted.Clarity is not the strong point of some on here.including myself as I am trying to be succinct but fail, as I am better at talking than writing.
    I just hope your not writing history like the nations of 1984(maybe you should read the book) and which some nations are doing today like Russia and China.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have never tried to do that. I'm not super enough to even think of it.

red_observer likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was referring to the general 'Left' and not to you in particular.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would point out @red_observer that you posted that you would be watching me. There is something of the KGB/Gestapo about that (I balanced left and right, there). Maybe something of Big Brother which might be apt since some commentators have seen 1984 as a veiled attack on the USSR while some think it might be an attack on the right in Britain at the time of writing.

nomad likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Getting voted into power as part of the democratic process does not provide immunisation against future horrors.

15. red_observer

Respect!

16. red_observer

absolutely! look at the Tories... :)

17. red_observer

ok I should have used an emoticon...twas tongue in cheek to be honest! Nice comment too!! sorry about that!

racroesus likes this.
  18. red_observer

ok fair enough

19. red_observer

impossible to do...
    I find most of your recent stuff aimed at me quite offensive, undeserved, totally misrepresentative of what ive actually written and rather aloof from any sort of humble position that you claim you want to take. So I respond in kind instead of ignoring you which might be the best course of action. I don't ignore idiots, not that I want to call you one or that you deserve to be labelled as such...but really, ive tried my best to be nice and you responses, of late, have been very hurtful. I don't back down to that sort of arrogant behaviour. If you are not intending any of this, then you have a strange way of showing it, but I am prepared to accept that you are not. Good afternoon now as I'm off for my evening meal with some of my friends as the darkness approaches the Mid Lands of England!

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Anyway, back on Zimbabwe and away from the squabbling...

South Africa seems to be negotiating with Mugabe... maybe trying to get him to exit Zimbabwe into retirement exile in SA? Speculative obviously...

It's like trying to get an abusive old grandfather out of the family home... once he's gone everyone will be free...