1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zimbabwe coup?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 15, 2017.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Yes you do it a lot don’t you

2. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Obvs not, if you understand the meaning.

3. red_observer

Childish and shallow are your middle names

4. red_observer

The Crocodile will be in charge and Zimbabwe shuffles the chairs in the Titanic. British rule created Mugabe.... they tortured him and imprisined him for 10 years. Yet Mandela suffered too and he became dignified and statesmanlike. Zimbabwe needs democratic elections. He should probably be locked up but the army won’t let that happen. It’s a tragedy what’s happened.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Did you mean this?

Because this doesn't read the same as Vinnie's..

I'm genuinely confused as to why you would be so rude to me... because your post clearly isn't the same as Vinnie's.

6. red_observer

Eh? You claimed my faculties weren’t in order. That’s not being rude to me???

I’ve clearly said what I’ve said. He was an inspiration at first but very soon turned very unpleasant and worse. Ok?

7. slingshotsally

The British Empire can be blamed for many things... but not the current situation in Zimbabwe. That is entirely Robert Mugabe's own doing.

8. red_observer

Of course. He should have done a Mandela. But we can’t assume torturing and killing colonists will produce model Mandela in each case can we? British rule was disgusting.

9. slingshotsally

Agreed.

Mugabe was jailed for 10 years, 1964 to 1974. Mandela for 27 years.

There is a vast difference between the men in terms of temperament, education and vision.

upload_2017-11-15_20-18-12.png
    copied from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16010171

Power corrupted him entirely.

All this happened after 20th April 1980.

red_observer likes this.
  10. red_observer

Good post

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Had enough? Why? Under Mugabe everyone in Zimbabwe's a trillionaire!
    upload_2017-11-15_21-16-18.png

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I take it that 'recent' means 'in the last thirty or more years' after sending his personal militia into Matabeleland to slaughter thousands. Nkomo was an early anti-colonialist but Mugabe got rid of him. He was not alone or even the progenitor. I suppose when someone is blinded by the bright lights they might not understand others looking down at the clay feet standing on the bodies.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He espoused Lenin and behaved like him.

nomad and artboyusa like this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think her recent trip abroad might have been to ensure the safety of the Amex card.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

His standing was also hurt by a wife however, Mugabe was praised by the left in his Marxist-Leninist days overthrowing the white rule in the company of others. Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Mao and Castro were the same. But what matters was how they exercised their power. Mugabe failed, Mandela didn't have much time but SA isn't wonderful, Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin were not good and neither were Mao or Castro. Maybe they inspired the likes of Mugabe to inspire other dictators.

nomad likes this.
  17. red_observer

I agree with you

18. red_observer

Different times but no defence correct

19. red_observer

Maybe you should state who was good following revolution as there aren’t many good models. Your narrow obsessive anti Left rants are fine as long as you condemn Rightist fascist rulers too which I don’t see a lot from you. I will be watching. Democracy is the best answer but many of those Leftist rulers took over from nasty reactionary rulers propped up by the good old Christian espousing Brits...:(

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Meanwhile you'll defend Mugabe.

You'll defend North Korea.

You'll defend Venezuela.

You'll defend the Soviet Union.

And then attempt to tar people for not doing something unrelated to a thread?

artboyusa and nomad like this.