1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zero job security.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by c616williams, Dec 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. c616williams

c616williams New commenter

Hi,
    Am feeling very stressed at the moment as I feel that I have no job security at the moment. When I took the job it was a temporary contract, and I knew this, but there is a caveat that it ' might not be temporary'. I am replacing a teacher who has changed departments but remaining in the same school. And basically if she decides to change back to her original department at the end of the year, then I'm gone, if not, then I stay. I am feeling worried by this and there seems to be no pressure on her to make up her mind. I'm also feeling like I'm putting in so much time and I keep saying to my students ' next year ' and so on even though I am quite clearly seen as being replaceable and this is not helping my motivation at all. Any advice on what to do about this one very appreciated. Thank you.

2. Rumper

Rumper New commenter

Could you approach the head of department, let them know that if you do not know if you are staying for definite by (insert date) then you will have no choice but to start looking for another post. You very much want to stay but have biils to pay? Might get you an answer, and if they want to keep you they will put the pressure on the other staff member. it is easy for them to keep you hanging at the moment, you might need to make that more difficult for them.

phlogiston and sabrinakat like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have been in a similar position to you, and can appreciate your concerns. But you have to look at it from both the school's and the other teachers' point of view: the school can't be seen to be putting pressure on the other teacher in case they feel they are being discriminated against, or forced out of their job; and the other teacher needs a reasonable time to see if the new role is right for them (one term may not be long enough).

FWIW what I would do is keep my head down for now pull out all the stops for the next term to stake your claim for a permanent post, and if youy haven't heard anything by (say) early March, then start looking for another post, and if you see one you want to apply to, at this point speak to your line manager/the HT or whoever to say you need some security etc.

jarndyce and phlogiston like this.
  4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

As Rumper said, approach the HoD and ask them about the situation. You have the right to know what's going on so you can plan ahead and secure new employment for September 2017 if necessary.
    What is the staff turn over like in the department? Do you know of any colleagues who are thinking of leaving at the end of the summer term? Stay close to the detail, if a vacancy arises, it will no doubt be your job unless HoD and HT decide to bring in a new teacher.
    My advice would be to continue doing what you are doing, get the students to progress and when it comes to reviewing your employment they shouldn't hesitate to keep you!