1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zero hours contract/invigilation compensation

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Mar 26, 2020.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

My wife and I were due to do invigilation at our local Secondary school and University. This would have brought us around £3,000-4,000 between us, based on last years figures.
    This was cancelled at both places due to Coronavirus.
    Do we have any chance/way of claiming 80% (or any) of this back through the scheme announced by the government?
    This is not penny pinching as we rely on this to keep us afloat.
    We are not self-employed and are paid PAYE, on a zero hours contract with both places.
    If so, how do we claim?
    Thank You

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

From what I have seen so far...you'll have to push for it. However, the zero-hours thing is still being raised by many. You cannot claim yourself, it has to be the normal employer.

For the 80% PAYE your employer pays you and reclaims it. So you'd need to contact the school and university and ask them to do that. This page should help: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme
    This is because they have said that publicly funded organisations are expected to pay PAYE employees normally and not furlough them...however, it's pretty much up to organisations to decide. As they will get 80% of the 'normal' wage back they may decide it's worth their time and manpower to do just to keep the goodwill of yourselves and because it is the 'right' thing to do.

3. diddydave

Just read a little more in-depth and I don't think the employer will be able to claim as it depends on the 'salary' ON the 28th February.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Thanks DD, much appreciated.

5. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

I would also think that as you already have an income (i.e pension) they would not support it.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I was thinking on the lines of the chancellors figure of 80% of income up to 2,500 pcm
    My pension and Invigilation combined, fall well within this figure.

7. diddydave

One of the restrictions on the 'self-employed' is that they can only claim if the 'profit' from their self-employment is MORE than half their income...so unless your invigilation work last year exceeded your pension you won't qualify.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is Invigilation self employment? I'd have thought not, more likely zero hours or occasional/short term contract of employment. So the 50% of income rule wouldn't apply. But as you say it's an employer subsidy scheme for employees on PAYE, the employee cannot apply for it themselves.

diddydave likes this.
  9. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I have also lost £3000 to £4000 over the summer months owing to the lack of exams and other zero hour jobs. This supplements my pension , which is basically enough to live on. I wouldn't have thought that this scheme pertained to people like me. My personal view is that , in the light of the awful uncertainty and fear faced by so many, I have little to complain about. The loss of that money pales into insignificance when you hear people worrying about paying their housing costs or feeding their kids. Not to mention the fear caused by the virus itself. With mega hospitals being set up (and huge morgues), I just pray we can get through this without too many casualties.

Besides, holidays seem to be off limits as are trips to restaurants and pubs, so there isn't much to spend money on.
    It's time to hunker down and hope that none of our loved ones are stricken down by this plague.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Yes, you are correct. My wife and I always look for the positives in life and, even before the virus, were appreciative of good health and a roof over our heads.
    I would not like to be in the situation that many are now faced with, where money (or lack of!) is creating a very dismal future for the near and far future.

Baron_Hamstead and eljefeb90 like this.
  11. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

I'm in the same position, and expected to earn around £5k over the summer with exam marking, exam invigilation and test development for different exam boards. The money was to pay for us to go on holiday in September starting with the Singapore Grand Prix! Fortunately we hadn't got round to booking anything, and obviously now won't be doing so. So in effect we haven't 'lost' income as I only do the work for holiday money.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

According to this link, furlough can be given for zero hours contracts, although I have no idea how this would work in practice. https://www.accountancydaily.co/five-things-you-need-know-furlough-and-zero-hours-workers

I have had a message from, the exam board I mark for to say that they will let us know shortly if we will get anything. It isn't that important to me, as I have enough pension and only mark one paper, but I know it will make a difference to others if we do get something.

13. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

Sometimes exam boards offer retainers, perhaps that is what they will do?

14. diddydave

I'm not in desperate straights either as we have Mrs DD's pension but I certainly can understand how easy it is to fall through the cracks in the support being offered.

My business sells exam divider screens...mmm...cancelled.

Having only set it up a few years ago last year was the first time we moved into profit, so self-employed earnings average ...£0.

Other income from exam marking, as that exceeded the income from my self-employment that would also disqualify me from the help offered to the self-employed. Oh, and of course I wasn't employed in Feb or March so there's no furlough option...and again, no employment to mark papers this summer (though the board have said they are 'asking' about it).

Universal Credit - if you have more than £16k then forget it (this, along with Mrs DD's pension is why I'm not in need - but I do wonder how many others may be in similar circumstances but without the benefit of this)

P.S. - Signs of light: We have started selling our divider screens to companies who are putting them in their canteens to provide protection and some restaurants have expressed interest in having them as well...though when they will be able to 'open' I've no idea...

Piranha likes this.
  15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I wondered about that. Perhaps, as I had been offered and accepted a contract to mark, that counts as being employed. I always get a P60 rather than a P45 from the exam board, suggesting that I remain employed all the time; this differs from my election work where I get a P45 as soon as it finishes - I have two from last year! But this is all pretty academic from my point of view. Getting a bit extra would be nice, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it. And I am certainly not going to spend time poring over the rules to find if I might be eligible - I will just wait for the exam board to tell me.

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That is promising. Perhaps (let's be optimistic) the use of dividers might be a prerequisite for restaurants to be allowed to open, or they will be able to take more customers if they use them. Might be expensive for me if they can open fairly soon - I have a very pricey meal booked for Mrs P's 60th birthday in late May.

17. diddydave

LOL...in the same way that they prevent students cheating in exams it might help with "menu envy" where not being able to see what the table next to you have ordered won't lead to regrets when your own order arrives...

Mrs DD and I went through a time where we always had to order the mixed grill JUST because we didn't want someone else to have it without us.

eljefeb90 and Piranha like this.
  18. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

My only thought on exam work and being furloughed would be whether the government see this as a years income and as such just give you 80% of say £5000 and only give you 4 months (end of June) of this.

19. diddydave

I think that is what the Exam Boards are hoping but I can see that the Treasury is not going to think that way.

The Treasury have already given money to schools* for exam fees, the schools are paying the Exam Boards for entries, the Exam Boards are giving grades to students. If the Treasury were to pay the Exam Boards examiner 'wages' then the Exam Board have, in effect, been paid twice for the same thing. However, the glimmer of hope is that the Exam Board can pay examiners as normal (just as schools are expected to pay teachers as normal) but that the Treasury will give them whatever extra money is needed to cover the unusual expenses the Exam Boards may have in awarding grades to students this year with no examination results on which to base them.

*The state schools at least

Rott Weiler likes this.
  20. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I had exam marking lined up with Cambridge and today they have emailed me to say that I am covered by the Job Retention Scheme but that:

'We believe, however, that the amount you would receive through the Scheme would not be sufficient for you to participate. '

They've then offered me an ex gratia payment that I need to accept by 1st May. To be honest, I'm not clear what they mean about it not being 'sufficient' so plan to ask for clarification as to how they reached this conclusion.

Any one else received something similar?