1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zero hour secondary teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Robfreeman, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

This is new I was job searching at my old school like you do. Came across a maths post labelled casual hours. So no guarantee of work hours per week. Which also means no guaranteed pay but with all the other bits.

Its this the future a profession with as much job security and reliability as McDonald's.

Part of the job description

• To teach Maths to Year 7-11 and ensure student progress is maximised.
    • To create a positive ethos and climate for learning in your classroom with high expectations for behaviour and work output alongside a fair and transparent system of praise and reward.
    • To monitor the progress of students against targets, intervene accordingly and evidence this intervention.
    • Days and hours to be negotiated.
    Salary & Benefits

• M1-M6
    • Access to Teachers’ Pension Scheme
    Who we are looking for

• Experience of raising levels of achievement and attainment
    • Effective use of data to inform planning
    • Experience of lesson planning and effective assessment for learning
    • Maintaining a high standard of teaching and learning
    • The central role of ICT in teaching and learning
    • Curriculum issues and development
    • Improvement – raising achievement
    • An understanding of Maths teaching
    • Enable students to achieve high expectations through good quality teaching and learning
    • Inspire students to have high aspirations and achieve their full potential
    • Build and maintain relationships with staff, governors, parents, students and the community
    • Demonstrate commitment, enthusiasm and motivation
    • Foster an open, fair and courteous environment
    • Demonstrate strong analytical skills to inform improvement
    • Be innovative and able to manage change

agathamorse likes this.
  2. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

This would be a sensible way to directly recruit supply teachers to the school, so that the school has its own pool on which to call and can avoid involvement with agencies. I can see that this arrangement could suit both parties and the 'casual' teacher would have the benefit of having pension contributions made to TPS, which is not possible if someone is doing supply as an agency worker.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What fools.

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

They might attract someone wanting pin money, like a retired cover supervisor, but they will not attract a Mathematics teacher worth the title.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

RobF. Yes I fear this is the future. And not just for teachers. No security. Zero hours. Which political party is at least making noises questioning if this should be the norm?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. CWadd

CWadd Senior commenter

Sure it wasn't fishing for a part timer?

7. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

this is the job title Maths Teacher (casual contract) and details i dont think they are after part time
    Closing Date: 05/10/2018

Vacancy Start Date: 22/10/2018

Salary: M1-M6

Employment Type: Casual

School Type: Secondary

Hours Per week: Not Specified

agathamorse likes this.
  8. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

I don't think you understand the advert, or the implications for casual (aka 'supply') staff and the school! You have seen the words 'zero hours contract' and thought no further than that.

This gives teachers employed on this type of contract greater security than working for a supply agency. They have the status of an employee, so are entitled to sick pay and holiday pay. After 26 weeks, they have the right to statutory maternity leave / pay, paternity leave etc. After two years they have the right not to be unfairly dismissed and to receive redundancy pay, if they are made redundant.

They can also pay into TPS, which is an infinitely better pension scheme than anything a supply agency would offer and will be paid to scale from the outset. They can participate in CPD and INSET.

They do not have to pay administrative fees to a supply agency or otherwise be ripped off by them.

The school gets a reliable pool of regular staff from their advert, who get to know the school and its ways, rather than having someone turn up from a supply agency. Supply teachers are employed on 'zero hours contracts' by their agencies now. For those whose preference is to work on a casual basis, being employed directly by the school is a much better deal.

9. Vince_Ulam

As **** deals go, it's pretty ******.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

once I cash my pension, this sort of thing would interest me greatly. Far better than supply work cos the rate of pay would be approx double. of course, the pension bit would no longer be an issue except I would be cheaper to employ!

bevdex, border_walker and woollani like this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Its a Daily Supply post in effect - but in house. So cutting out the agency costs. A Supply Teacher might go for it but still keep with agencies too.

Some academies have their inhouse system now of banks of 'casual workers' :cool:

12. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Call me cynical, but, this is surely the thin end of a wedge. Academies will not hesitate to make zero hours contracts the norm. All they need is for this to become tolerable. I find this worrying.

13. cazzmusic1

cazzmusic1 New commenter

I share your concerns, @moscowbore. Casualisation of teaching staff in the FE sector started in the 90s in this way.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

I agree with you that this move does sound very similar to what happened in FE colleges, twenty years ago, @cazzmusic1.

If zero hours contracts do become the norm, @moscowbore, I wonder how these teachers will be paid. Knowing the way things are now, I am sure school managers will jump at the chance to only pay teachers for the days they are in school, thus saving on over three month's salary! Already some supply teachers are paid 'contact time only'.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

To have all or most of a school's teaching staff (and all other staff, too) on zero hours contracts would be a bullying Head's wet-dream! A school could have a pool of available people, much larger than would be necessary to staff the school, from which the Head could pick and choose. Anyone who stepped out of line could find themselves 'rested', temporarily or permanently, as a punishment. I daresay that this ZHC would have written into it a clause forbidding the teacher from working at any other job.

You can imagine it being like the London Docks use to be. Every morning teachers would crowd around the school gates, waiting to be picked for a day's work.

agathamorse and sparkleghirl like this.
  16. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

@Jolly_Roger15 when teacher got nearer to getting their holiday pay, sick pay etc., eligibility for pension contributions etc. their contracts could be ceased and who is to say the same contributions made by employers to the TPS would be the same as for those employed on normal contracts.

Very dodgy dealings.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, that's how I read it too.

I'm a governor at a Special School and we do that, have a 'bank' system. We think t's important in a special school that supply/cover staff are as far as possible not strangers to our pupils. The pupils find it hard if they are dealing with someone they don't know. The nature of our SEN is such that there are important care procedures to follow that a newcomer wouldn't know, so a bank of regular supply/cover staff means they are familiar with us. Much better for the pupils.

Everyone in our bank is free to go and do whatever other jobs they feel like and are not committed in any way to being available to us at all times.

18. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

That part's the key and that's the part that I expect will go out of the window very very rapidly with this. It'll become, let's be honest here, expected total availability, with you basically being blocked out as "working so can't do anything more demanding than risk going to Tescos" full time... but we're just actually going to call on you for the Friday afternoon dead slot from hell once a month.

agathamorse and Sir_Henry like this.
  19. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

You can imagine it being like the London Docks use to be. Every morning teachers would crowd around the school gates, waiting to be picked for a day's work.

We are already there and don't forget that TAs and HLTAs have always been paid term time only and many of them now do the job once carried out by teachers.

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  20. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Exclusivity clauses in zero hours' contracts were made unlawful in 2015 and it became enforceable in January 2016.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/penalties-zero-hours-contract-exclusivity-clauses-come-force/