1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zero aspiration

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Sep 3, 2015.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Hi there,

I started with my new class yesterday and I have a child who has presented as having absolutely no aspirations. He isn't bothered about what today brings let alone tomorrow. Isn't bothered by praise, rewards, tellings off, sanctions etc. I am really worried about him. Lots of low level behaviour issues but it's the lack of care that I'm most worried about. He's really going to get nowhere this year if he doesn't realise his life is worth something. His family life is tricky and he doesn't have support at home.

He's only lower KS2. Are there any things I can do to help him. I'm at a loss. His whole attitude and work ethos is slap dash and 'I don't care!' What can I do? I have 27 to worry about and lots with different needs.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Have you spoken to your senco. What about his teacher from last year.find out what has been tried. It may be good to get some outside help and have him assessed if this has been going on for some time.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I'm not even sure it's a SENCO issue. He's more a product of his background I think. His previous class teacher said he started the year with no aspirations but with less low level behaviour issues. His behaviour got slightly worse and the lack of aspirations just continued.

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I'd still speak to your senco. If you just assume that his problems are a product of his background you may be missing something it also implies that there is nothing the school can do which is unfair on the child.

I know may LAs have remove many of their advisers but if yours still has some get them in. This may be behaviour, communication and interaction or even mental health.

5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I would have suggested talking to his former teachers, but you've already taken that step. Is the HT and other SLT members aware of this? If not, you should inform them immediately. Get their support. It sounds like the child does need counselling.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Focus on what he can do and not what he can't. He may not fit into your routine sanctions / rewards so think outside the box. This may be a challenge for you and the school but this is the only setting he is likely to experience so you have explore any / every way to help him. Product of his background - so what ? You need to be aspirational too ! Agree there may be underlying issues which need to be addressed. Seek out other professionals in your network with experience of working with similar children. Behavioural issues can manifest for a number of reasons. Any one can meet with success with children who are well supported and are ' aspirational ' .

7. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

I have the same issue. A child who is up there, but no aspiration. I had this child last year too and she was suffering from her friends moving out of area. Now she has no 'go' whether it is group work, outside work, independent work, DT, PE, Art, music... anything. All she wants to do is rag with her sibling or have lunch. I have approached parents, SENO, the child for likes and learning preferences and how I can help. Sadly she is now Yr6 and just doesn't care. Any help appreciated.