1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

zero applicants for jobs, whole departments empty

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have had schools contact me (either directly, or through agencies) to fill gaps in their science departments but, so far, none has been prepared to offer me any salary. Ever one of them, in one form or another, assumes that people like me are eager to be given opportunities to 'put something back'.

From the time my last became an academy until when i was 'pushed out', the science department had only three members out of ten, who had a science degree, and were qualified teachers.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I know one school who can't seem to recruit a Head of Geography. Sod them. Maybe if the new headteacher (who overpromoted himself but yet brought his crony on board to help him manage the place) would foster a professional working and learning climate, people might want to apply. But, that proverbial grapevine is a powerful source of information regarding where teachers apply for jobs.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

The expensive ones complain, especially when they have headteachers, sorry, managers, who try to teach them how to suck eggs.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  4. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I really do find what you say to be really strange. Come North West young/ old man! Over the last 4 years we have taken on a number 40 and 50 year old UPS3 without a qualm. Currently we have a pt post and anyone with a Chemistry Degree who can breathe would be snaffled up. Or Physics of course.

5. Jolly_Roger15

@yodaami2: I am just relating my own experience, and those of people I know in a similar situation. I have widened my search to Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, North Surrey, Reading, Luton, even NW Kent (as I can get as far as Bromley South with my 60+ Oyster card) but as far as paid work is concerned, zip!

6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Have you considered moving north; Liverpool, Manchester. Rent a little flat £600 a month, you'd still be taking home more than you can possibly be reaping in benefits.

7. Jolly_Roger15

@yodaami2: I am 64 in September, and I have my teachers' pension. I am still seeking work, not only to supplement this pension, but to be able to do the job, which i did for all my working life. I feel that I was 'terminated' too abruptly.

8. theselofane

theselofane Occasional commenter

It's cold up north. Those heating bills soon add up:)

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I think things have already failed. Things near me are really, really bad now. My subject is English and I find that the 8 GCSE kids I am looking after just are not being set homework, practice timed essays...anything. Doe some, it is because excellent former staff are ill or signed off with stress, so the continuity collapsed. Others are embracing action short of strike action. And I also suspect that some good teaching staff who want to se5 and mark regular work, give the kids proper mock exams, you know, boring unnecessary stuff like that....are already overworked wasting their time trying to justify a job that should not even need justifying to inept thick SLT.
    What I did not realise until recently was how shockingly low the salaries are in state sector and grammar now. Top this with ridiculous competition from unskilled and inexperienced trainees they want to hire on the cheap, coupled with a very content heavy curriculum which rewards inference and insight acquired from experienced teachers..you have problems. Then I saw this ad. You would earn more as a night time stock manager at Sainsbury’s for 12 hours a week. The position is probably not even the worse out there, but it would still be really hard and underpaid and it shows why teaching us declining.
    This school is located in one of the richest parts of Surrey. So you can only assume that if they are this tight on pay and conditions here, lord help the rest of the UK. They will end up with an inexperienced kid who they will exploit, exhaust, burn out and repeat on next year with another mark. The school may have no choice, this may be all they can afford, but it’s another nail in the coffin for the profile of teaching in this country.
    It is also unfair competition for proper teachers who are being shamelessly undercut...Who on earth would do all this for that salary? Why on earth can’t the school throw in the extra ten k to hire a fully trained teacher who gives a flick and is likely to stay on? It is a mystery....

This post will be based a XXXXXXXXXX School, a popular oversubscribed school situated in 15 acres of Green Belt Land close to the centre of Esher, however could also involve work at other schools in the Trust.
    What we can offer you:
    - Friendly, welcoming and highly motivated staff
    - A team ethos whereby all staff support each other and share resources and good practice
    - High aspirations for everyone in our school community
    Benefits of working here include:
    Local Government Pension Scheme
    - Ample onsite parking
    - Use of fully equipped Gym out of school hours
    - MyBenefits: A reward scheme for employees of Surrey County Council, includes Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work, etc.
    A two week October half-term holiday

Ideal working pattern (but room for negotiation):
    Monday to Thursday: 08.30 to 16.00 (this includes 55 minutes of unpaid breaks each day)
    Friday: 08.30 to 15.00 (this includes 55 minutes of unpaid breaks)
    There may be a requirement for you to work up to an additional 8 hours a year to attend staff meetings, for which you will receive an additional payment.
    31 hours and 55 minutes per week, term time only (37.6 weeks), Grade S5
    Surrey pay scale PS5 full time salary £21,169 – £23,367

Pro rata starting salary will be £15,426 per annum

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what is the actual job title?

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Some bleugh like graduate junior school teacher. Gawd it is so annoying. Dumb, dumb, dumb it all down.....

agathamorse likes this.
  12. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Is the chap the school bursar who probably gained chartered accountancy and worked their way up without attending a university? Otherwise, I can’t imagine such a person becoming SLT. Or am I being naive? Has English schools stooped this low?

13. DrJay

Too many teachers accept assaults of all kinds. Once, a child was chatting after being warned repeatedly to remain silent. I caught her again chatting which she not only denied but said “you must be hearing voices in your head”, implying I have mental illness. On this ground, I demanded she’s sanctioned or I leave the school as I’m not in classroom to be verbally abused. I started tidying my work area in preparation to quit, I was also willing to go to the press. The school quickly temporarily excluded the child who was made to apologise in writing and has since been of exemplary character. Attitude or behaviour I won’t tolerate from my own kids won’t be accepted from other people’s kids. Period.

henrypm0 and agathamorse like this.
  14. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@dunnocks if you really want to help the school, tell them to contact the DfE Return to Teaching programme where there are thousands of qualified, experienced Science, Maths and MFL teachers looking to return to teaching and many of whom have recently updated their skills. However most of them will be over 50 and looking to work part time, but it would still be better for the children and more cost effective for the school than paying agencies to bring in anybody.

When vacancies are given to the RT programme every single teacher registered will instantly get the ad and the school will be inundated with responses.

Jolly_Roger15 and Idiomas11 like this.
  15. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

I thought the same... but maybe it did and we missed it?

16. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Yes, they have stooped that low. No, he wasn't the school bursar but just a former student who was very good at Maths and came back as an unqualified teacher. He got in so well with SLT that he subtly climbed the poll, given head of year position with 'other responsibilities'. He's also a governor, or was.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. DrJay

Shocking.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

8 is not even newsworthy. A few years back a school close to mine lost 38 teachers at the end of the year, They replaced them all for September. 20 of the replacements walked at Christmas. That didn't make the news either.

afterdark and agathamorse like this.
  19. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I can top that sadly. I went to an establishment, which I think of as hell high , where 40 teachers had gone at the end of the year. I was one of the replacements.Lots of money was offered as management points ( never made that mistake again) . Again about half went at christmas. A couple of overseas teachers walked in the middle of the autumn term with 24 hours notice and went back to USA. I made it to the end of the year but nearly 50 off us went, none of it ever made the press though it was well known locally.

henrypm0 and agathamorse like this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Good point, indeed! There seems be this 'disconnect' between the 'massive shortage of maths and science teachers' and 'the glut of over a third of a million unemployed maths and science teachers'. Funny, that! Both cannot be true; or am i being naive? o_O