1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

zante greece

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 15, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Has anyone been to this island?
    I have found a cheap deal for sept but im womdering what the place is like as its for a self catering villa with pool/is the weather any good in sept amd transport?
    Thanks

2. oldsomeman

Has anyone been to this island?
    I have found a cheap deal for sept but im womdering what the place is like as its for a self catering villa with pool/is the weather any good in sept amd transport?
    Thanks

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I went 20 years ago, had a fab time, often returning to our appartment as our neighbours were getting up! Beaches and transport were reasonable as far as I remember, but things change both ways. Yes, i'd go again but probably wouldn't party like I did.

4. I went about 4 years ago. A bit like Aiya Napa.
    Some beaches okay.
    We did all inclusive and hotel was okay.

5. oldsomeman

cor ///hello mixu///long tine since i chatted to you lady! I hope your still ok?
    Thanks for your comments so far.......thijng is it there things to travel around and see as we are not beach folk.
    Alternative is a cottage in normady which also appeals to me! lol

6. We went 11 years ago and I hated it. I didn't know anything about the island - last minute deal and very cheap - we just wanted somewhere hot that would appeal slightly to our then 18 and 16 yr old lads. The mistake we made was going to Laganas, which even then was full of pissed Brits f*cking on the beach. Fortunately we were a little outside the main resort (hence so cheap) so only had to venture in occasionally.
    They had a massive earthquake there is the 60s and all the antiquities were destroyed.
    Probably fine if you keep away from the biggest resorts.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We went about 25 years ago. Absolutely fantastic holiday. Went again to the same resort the following year and it had completely changed. Built up beyond belief. We stayed in Argassi which on the first visit was a village. On the second visit the road from Zackinthos to Argassi was as built up as the road from Westminster to Balham. Lost all it's charm. Heaven knows what it's like now.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My eldest went with some friends after their 'A' Levels, and while she can party with the best of them (and frequently parties with the worst too) she didn't like it at all. That said, her friends never tried to leave the resorty clubby bit so there's every chance it's OK if you avoid the hotspots.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You like rain then? Great place to go if you do ;-)

10. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I went a few years ago, Olds but I wasn't impressed... Laganas was JUST starting to become popular for the young p1ssheads and I didn't find it a particularly attractive island full stop. Go for the cottage in Normandy!! VP xxx

11. oldsomeman

i so love yor positiveness MSB.it must have some sunshime!
    I did mention it to the wife and she say what about west scotland......boring ,done that before not sure how much more to se up ullapool way!...unless she is talking to going to the islands........now that would be nic e but expensive in the car.

12. Hi Olds
    I would go to Normandy given the choice.

13. I was in Zante last summer and absolutely loved it.
    We stayed in a small family run hotel in a small resort called Kalamaki, about 10 mins or so from Laganas. There were a number of people in our hotel (of the 'older' variety) who return year after year after year.
    It was fairly quiet in Kalamaki, with a mix of people - young and lively, pensioners, families - and it really catered for all. Locals and workers were polite and friendly, the younger crowd generally weren't seen during the day (other than sleeping by the pool), had a few drinks in Kalamaki and then disappeared to Laganas at night. I found it a very peaceful and relaxing holiday.
    I went with 2 friends and we're aged between 20 and 36! I was left to do the organising, and I'm so glad I didn't choose Laganas as that really is the party resort. We passed through it a number of times when we went on excursions and it looked horrendous. I can still party it up with the best of them, but this would have killed me. Avoid at all costs!
    Kalamaki had some great bars and places to eat, and there was something that suited everyone. We also took the bus into Zante town one evening, and that was a fab experience - we never even saw a 'club' or 'noisy bar'! We visited a number of places as part of the day trips we did, and many of them looked like they would be good to stay in on a future visit - the guides said most of the smaller resorts were similar in atmosphere to Kalamaki and that those seeking the party scene and to cause annoyance went to Laganas.
    We all felt there was plenty to see and do and that where we were was busy enough to be entertaining but without the binge-drinking louts and yobs there to ruin the holiday. My two friends are going back this year (sadly without me!)
    I would highly recommend Zante (and if you do decide to go, can I come in your suitcase?!).

14. Me and Mrs. Dekka are off there in less than 3 weeks (it was very very cheap). We haven't been before and if it is **** we'll just write it off to experience ( as we hardly ever go to the same place more than once.We are off to Alykes and the place we are staying is away from anywhere much but is right on the beach. We've hired a car to get about the island and we'll get a view of whether there is anywhere we would like to stay should we ever return.
    I'll come back to this thread and give my opinion when we get back (always assuming I haven't forgotten all about it).

BTW The first time I went to the Greek Islands I passed a bar which had a sign saying "Sex on the Beach, 7pm ,3.00 Euros " but when I went down to the beach there was only me there! Weird.

15. Try to avoid Zante if you can. It's horrible - full of drunk teenagers. If you do go, I wouldn't bother visiting the picturesque shipwreck you see in the brochure or on postcards. It's an old oil tanker covered in graffiti. Can highly recommend Thassos though. It's not too touristy yet - although you do have to get a ferry after you have landed at Kavala. Have been three times because it's so unspoilt. Lots of Greeks go on holiday there.

16. Righto Oldsome report as promised!

I got back from Zakynthos a week ago and Me and Mrs. D. had a smashing week up in Alykes where it is VERY quiet- just one street of shops, tavernas and a couple of bars really behind the beach. Alykanas along the road is bit bigger but still very laid back. I can imagine that in September it would be just as peaceful - and the sea would be warm as it was a bit chilly for me in May. Where we stayed there were fantastic views across the Ionian Sea over to Kefalonia to the north and the pine covered mountain to the west. I'm not saying where because it is lovely - No pool, No bar, No music, No teenagers, No entertainment - just clean basic accommodation with a garden to sun bathe in and direct access onto the beach.

We hired a car from the airport (bit of a rip off as they charge for a full tank (69 euros for a Matiz!) and it would take about a month to use it all) and travelled around a good part of the island. All of the north and west is a long pine clad mountain with few roads or villages and just about all of the settlement is in the south and east. If anyone is going to drive around then the only good roads are near the airport and the south. Anywhere else is just VERY narrow twisty lanes - and the signing is pretty rubbish. That being said it is well worthwhile doing a drive around the island as parts of it are fabulous. You can get good road maps from the local shops for about 4.5 euros.

We did travel in to Zakynthos Town (totally scary driving experience for me used to places where drivers obey the rules of the road!) and had a look at Tsilivi (not for me thanks but a bustling holiday place with loads of bars, shops and tavernas) and at Laganas (aaarrrgghhh!!!! _ I would hate to be anywhere near that place) but never got down to Argassi or that area.

Prices in the tavernas where we ate were very reasonable (I thought ) with most main dishes around 7 to 8 euros and the food was excellent - we never had a bad meal. Beer (Mythos) was about 2-3 euros in bars and 1 euro in the shops. Just about the only trips on offer were to the Blue Caves and the Shipwreck at about 25 euros per person (we didn't bother).

17. Oh bu.gger - forgot that TES forum can't handle paragraphs if you use Opera browser so apologies for above!

18. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I've been twice. Stayed in a place called Argassi (think it's been mentioned already). The first year we went was really nice. Second year, hotel was a bit further away and not as nice but it was OK.
    Not the type of place to go if you want luxury or nice smelling toilets!

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I just popped in cos I'm nosy like that. I really like the sound of this Island, Dekka. Where you were staying sounds right up our street: quiet etc. Hmmmmm . . . . .you have got me thinking now and as Mr K always says, that's a bad thing!!! [​IMG]

20. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

We went 6 or 7 years, it was good but not my favourite Greek island. We stayed in Tsilivi, quite quiet but may have changed. Seem to remember that the beach was nice but the sea shelved quite suddenly! Agree that there's not many places to visit but the jeep safari was v good.