1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Zac is going over Heathrow!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Oct 25, 2016.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, that was confirmed yesterday. Zac G has resigned, forcing a by-election in which he will stand as an independent.

I'm not sure I understand that. The tories are not going to put up a candidate against Goldsmith in the by-election.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Makes sense - he'll probably win and if they put up a candidate it will split the vote.

He won't be voting with Corbyn's rabble will he.

JL48 likes this.
  3. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Here's the result from last time. In spite of his overwhelming mandate last year, Goldsmith's in for a massively hard fight and I don't rate his chances as an independent, especially tainted with his support of Brexit (this constituency was strongly for Remain).

The LibDems may not have much of a membership at the moment, but they're on the rebound and regaining this constituency would be a trophy for them. Expect hundreds to be bussed in from across the country to knock on doors; this is what happened in the Witney by-election. In contrast Goldsmith as an independent will have to rely on local, personal support.

[​IMG]

emerald52 likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Gove is rumoured to be highly conversational during love making.

emerald52 and JL48 like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

mirrors don't work with him so don't expect much.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

*vomit*

Sorry bout that...

vannie, JL48 and emerald52 like this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Given the toxic campaign Zac ran for the mayoralty, he will have tough time keeping the seat.

8. florian gassmann

Our second son who lives in the constituency tells me that nobody there took Zac's mayoral bid very seriously - they regard him as an excellent constituency MP but far too quietly spoken to be mayor or a government minister. The Lib Dems might give him a bit of a run, but I'm told that neither Jenny Tongue nor Susan Kramer are remembered with much affection in the area.

The press think the Lib Dems will turn it into a Brexit issue, but Gassboy 2 says people in the area are much more concerned about Heathrow. However, the Lib Dems are also very much against Heathrow, so that might tip the balance in their favour.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Which is my point. If he didn't resign and restand as an independent, my guess is that the LibDems would have retaken it at the next election.

emerald52 likes this.
  10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The racist campaign didn't bother them then? Even his sister was taken aback.

bonkers 704 and emerald52 like this.
  11. florian gassmann

No idea. I'd not even heard of it, but then I don't live in London. Goldsmith got 43% of the final total vote, so I guess quite a few people were not that bothered.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The Lib - Dems do seem to be on the rise again.

13. florian gassmann

At least he won't be short of campaign funds. o_O

emerald52 likes this.
  14. asnac

Quite. He is the probably the richest MP, having inherited a massive chunk from his late billionaire father, and for good measure he has married a Rothschild.

Probably a good thing for him that he doesn't actually need this job.

He will of course only be able to spend the same on materials as the other candidates, and it's illegal to pay canvassers who are the bedrock of a successful by-election campaign.

15. asnac

Some Labour frontbenchers are making the case for Labour not to field a candidate at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...party-not-to-contest-richmond-park-byelection

For the sake of strengthening the anti-Goldsmith vote by maybe a couple of thousand, this would damage their party in the long term. It would let down their supporters in Richmond Park by depriving them of a candidate, and it would give the message to the electorate that Labour and the LibDems are interchangeable.

Labour need to promote their policies positively and show that they are more than a 'not the Tories' party, because the electorate are presented with plenty of those.

emerald52 likes this.
  16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

As Tories go, I think that he was quite a decent candidate. His sister's surprise at the nastiness of the campaign was a reflection, I think, of his own character.

It was the evil hard-right American and Australian import that was the cause of the racist campaign, which many decent Conservatives openly criticised. I would hope that the 43% was despite, rather than due to the campaign.

17. florian gassmann

I get the impression that's how he's viewed locally. Despite being worth a fortune (hardly his fault) he's very involved in local issues, volunteers at the local hospital, meets constituents in local cafs and so on.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I visit the area fairly frequently and get the impression that a lot of media types live in the constituency - I've seen Trevor MacDonald, Andrew Marr, Peter Snow and others on several occasions in the local shops. Given the huge anti-Brexit bias in the media, that might swing the vote in the direction of the Lib Dems. However, I'm not convinced that the country has yet finished kicking the Lib Dems for their part in the coalition, and Gassboy 2 tells me that people have been glad to see the back of that little coterie of Lib Dem grande dames that used to hold sway in the area and who've now been kicked upstairs to the Lords (Baronness Kramer, Baronness Hamwee and the notoriously anti-semitic Baroness Tonge). For most of the 20th century the area was staunchly tory, although they did once return an independent unionist between the wars.

asnac likes this.
  18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Lol. You should stop reading and watching the Media of the educated classes. Most British media is very proBrexit.

bonkers 704 and emerald52 like this.
  19. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

Their ex mp
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Jenny Tonge has now been suspended for anto Semitism. Best she stops campaigning

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

So the Lib Dems did win in the end. I wonder what people's motivations were?