1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Z visa documents help

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aferguson_design, Nov 20, 2018.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you are bringing your children with you a birth certificate will be required to prove your relationship to the children and to register your children at school. If your spouse will be on a dependents visa you will need a marriage certificat to prove you are legally married.

You should ask the school if they need to be notarized and authenticated.

2. edmundstavros

edmundstavros New commenter

Ok thanks - we are not married, don't have children, and are both going to be on a working visa. So hopefully birth certificates aren't necessary? They weren't in the list we were given, so I just had a little panic!

3. february31st

I would still bring your birth certificates with you to china.

loislane1 likes this.
  4. loislane1

loislane1 New commenter

No my child’s birth certificates and my marriage as my qualifications are in my maiden name.

5. rhenium1963

rhenium1963 New commenter

I have just been offered a job out in China. I am at the stage of legalisation where I need to go to the Chinese Embassy. This does seem complicated. Any advice?

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Google an agent who can do it all for you. They'll do the process and you can just supply the relevant documents. Really gets rid of a the stress.

Teachallover likes this.
  7. february31st

If the process seems complicated, I would suggest you consider your future working in China. This is only a fraction of the administrative paperwork you will have to deal with when working abroad. If you are in the UK I would do the process myself and build up your self reliance and save a considerable amount of money if the school is not paying the costs.

8. TeacherMan19

Depending on your school, they might support you. The agent can be covered by the visa fees. Just ask them. Some schools will support you with all the tricky bits. There can be lots of tricky bits but with that school support - it's not so hard.

9. rhenium1963

Dear Colleagues,
    Do you have to notarise DBS, Police Check and Health Certificate?

10. rhenium1963

Anyone in the process of organising a Z Visa for China. I am at the stage of legalising my documents with the Chinese Embassy but everything is shut down in London.

11. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

I am in Bangkok and they have also closed their legalization service in The Chinese Embassy here. My new school have also reposted all of their vacancies this week so they must be nervous too!You should start thinking about a Plan B. I have..

12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I think that gilderbeast2000 is being a tad pessimistic. Yes, it is true that the process of getting your Chinese Z visa can be just a little time-consuming and complicated, even at the best of times. However, it is still only April and things are now beginning to return to normal in the Middle Kingdom. Perhaps you are new to international schools, rhenium1963, so you just have to accept that sometimes these things take time (and then a bit more). I am reminded of the old Egyptian proverb, "He who journeys on the waters of the Nile must have sails woven out of patience."

rhenium1963 likes this.
  13. 10B

10B New commenter

Hi Rhenium1963,
    I too have a job in China and have just started the whole process as I am in the UK. My first step seems to be notarisation of document, then the legalisation seems to be next and then the Apostille stamp.

After that its the Z visa application.

Is that the process you are also involved with?

rhenium1963 likes this.
  14. rhenium1963

Thanks that was most helpful,

15. 10B

10B New commenter

Thank you for the helpful information - much appreciated. I have had some scary quotes for legalisation and notarial services. I have taken your advice and am submitting the quotes to the school so hopefully they can give me a steer on what they will support me with.

16. february31st

There is no need to pay a ridiculous amount to an agent to get documents notarized and legalized if you are in the UK. I did it all myself on a Saturday morning at a total cost of 75GBP/document including the postage. Biggest difficulty was finding a place that had a scanner for the documents to send them online to the FCO legalization office, but the public Library has the facilities including photocopying.

17. rhenium1963

Yes that’s where I am at but the Visa Centre in London is closed.

10B likes this.
  18. rhenium1963

Yes I am at the stage of sending the documents to the China Visa Centre once it opens.

10B likes this.
  19. TeacherMan19

All the visa offices are closed which is the difficult part for you. Unfortunately, if you have prepared every thin else so far, it might just be a job of waiting for them to open.
    Schools will be glad to keep you still engaged with the job you're going to and will do things to support (hopefully). Unfortunately there isn't too much they can do other than reassure you that they're still interested in you.

10B likes this.
  20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

TeacherMan19 is right, I think. Lots of international teachers are having all sorts of visa-related problems at the moment, as so many embassies and consulates seem to be closed.

Here in Sofia, Mrs. Hippopotamus wants to get her Russian visa, so that she can make her annual trip home to the datcha and see mamulichka. Unfortunately the visa office is closed. It is meant to be re-opening on 30th April. However, the situation in Russia seems to be getting worse, not better, so it looks as though the office will stay shut for quitter a while.

10B and rhenium1963 like this.