1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YUCK!!! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by suzette, Mar 7, 2019.

1. suzette

suzette New commenter

I've just finished tutoring at a new student's house & the place was a mess. I'm not talking about a lived in house, that's got a bit of clutter here & there, but literally, disgusting!! There was cat poo on the kitchen floor & in the hallway, food droppings & dirty clothes on the floor. The lesson was in the kitchen & the kitchen table had used food/dirty plates/grease on it. I had to shove things to one side to find space

I was desperate to use the loo & saw in the corner of the bathroom a used sanitary towel. I kid you not!!

This was a GCSE student & her parents want her to have some help as she didn't do too well in her mocks. It was very hard to focus on the task in hand (the student didn't seem to mind), but my paperwork/and files got a bit greasy & I felt my hands touching the sticky table a lot.

I have to go back next week. (But feel I don't want to!!) Should I ask them to clear the table a bit so we can work? Or would it be too rude?I've never tutored anywhere as dirty as this.

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If you work for yourself, you can choose when and where you want to work. If you don't want to go back to that house, just cancel your arrangement.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Maybe someone should suggest to the parents that it would help their daughter enormously to have a tidy, organised space, conducive to learning, in which to work.

phlogiston and suzette like this.
  4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I used to go somewhere where I had to ask for them to clear a space. Wouldn't say it was dirty but very cluttered. I've certainly never seen a dirty sanitary towel. Not sure I'd go back

5. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

For the reasons you describe I never use the toilet in any of my tutees houses. It amazes me the state some perfectly normal looking people live in. I suppose we all have different standards. Pet owners seem to be the worst, they genuinely don't seem to see their pets faeces as an unhygienic health hazard. That being said I don't think you should be rude in anyway. Make sure you use the toilet before you go and carry hand sanitiser. And never accept a cup of tea!!!

6. suzette

suzette New commenter

Thanks guys for all your responses. Normally I don't use the toilet in another tutee's house. Unfortunately an hour before, I'd gone to the gym and had drunk too much water! (won't be doing that again). But generally I was so shocked at the state of their house, I was a bit dumbstruck. I can't believe they aren't bothered about it. I like the idea of Sparkleghirl's. Asking them to clear a space would be a way forward, but then again if I go back, midway through the lesson, I might throw up! (the smell was dreadful there as well), perhaps it might be better not to go back ever!!

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Could you suggest the girl comes to you for lessons? If you didn't want to be rude you could say something like, unfortunately you no longer have time to travel to them but they are welcome to continue if the girl comes to you. This gives them an option to continue if they are genuinely keen.

Kartoshka and phlogiston like this.
  8. suzette

suzette New commenter

Oh yeah, I forgot about that option! It would solve a whole load of issues, especially as when I arrive it seems to take her at least ten minutes or so to come down. Yesterday I could hear the embarrassing 'shouty sweary, conversation' between dad & her. She didn't want to come down as she wasn't dressed & in her pj's! Yep at 5:30pm! She's been home-schooled & quite clearly become a surly little miss.

9. BG54

BG54 New commenter

From that description I'd just cancel altogether, as a tutor I won't entertain students with an attitude problem and if that's how she is at home you may well find she wouldn't be especially punctual arriving at your place.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

You could offer them a small price reduction if they came to you as you would save on travel. That might be an incentive to agree.

phlogiston likes this.
  11. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

To be honest I'd just get rid

12. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Too many issues. Politely find an excuse not to go back (been offered a job in a school. across town etc.) and offer them advice as to where to find alternative tutors, brilliant Youtube websites and great revision resources. If they found you via a website, take down your profile for a few weeks so that proves you are no longer available otherwise you risk getting a bad review from them.

Do not go back into that house! You have been warned.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Well, on a positive note, that kind of home life yet they care enough about her education to get her a tutor. Maybe she's embarrassed and would actually be better tutored elsewhere, your place or a library maybe.
    Anyway, I'd better do the cat litter before settling down to my bouteille de vin.

14. briancant

Don't dump her too quickly, perhaps she needs your help..

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sounds like she is possibly unsafe, Who would you report a home schooled child to if you were worried about them?

langteacher likes this.
  16. suzette

suzette New commenter

I don't think there are issues regarding safeguarding etc, I just think they all rub along together in their own muck. At the moment, it changes daily as to whether I'm going back...I need to decide by this week.

17. briancant

I'm a germophobe and I'm often grossed out when I visit peoples homes. But once I take on a student I feel a responsibility to them and it would take an awful lot to make me drop them. I would say to you don't do so lightly.

Also as I said I never accept a cup of tea and never use the toilet never, never.. It should be written in the tutors handbook, 'no tea, no toilet!'.

18. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

My thoughts would be, don't go back it sounds appalling. If you don't want to drop the girl, offer them the option to come to you for lessons. If the girl is being home schooled it would do her good to get out of the house. They may well think that's too much effort and say no, but then it's down to them and you've given them the chance to continue if they really want to.

Kartoshka likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Offski to that one! Surely?