1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr9 OCR Nationals

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by legins, Feb 12, 2012.

1. http://www.ocr.org.uk/news/2012/item_010.aspx

2. http://www.ocr.org.uk/news/2012/item_010.aspx

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Interesting to know. I think where I am may well stick to the transfer to CamNats sooner rather than later, mainly so we can hone our theory teaching before they hit year 10 and work out the kinks in our delivery (Theory lessons are pretty foreign to where I work!).

4. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

Have I missed the fact that the first award is not on the list? No good unless you are doing the 2 GCSE + equivalent.

5. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

and the short course is worth nought on league tables.

6. robot1

robot1 New commenter

I am a bit confused. For the 2014 league tables (current year 9) is it the case that OCR Nationals single GCSE qualification will not count but the Cambridge Nationals single GCSE version will count? Or is it the case that neither single GCSE versions count?

7. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Sorry, I realise that we are still waiting to hear about if the Cam Nationals will or will not get approval. I am just worried about the single GCSE version of that not counting too.

8. The OCR Nats First Award doesn't count because it does not have a high enough count of Guided Learning Hours (GLH). The lowest level qualification CNAT (other than the short course) does pass the minimum 120glh threshold and therefore will count.

9. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

The document that the original link points to has the statement:
    Implying that entries need te be completed before 31/8 in order for current year 9 to be allow to do the "old" OCR Nationals.

10. From what I understand (and OCR confirmed), the revised list means that the 2010 Spec Award, First Certificate and Certificate will count for the current Year 9s in the 2014 tables (but only as 1 GCSE towards 5 A*-C)
    The Short Course and First Award will not as below the 120 GLH required
    The last entry date for 2010 spec is August this year so entries need to be done by then.

11. Ok all our year 9s have been entered for the OCR National First Award. We have just about completed unit 1 and after half term were going to start unit 21 - should we:
    • Continue with the course - even though it wont be worth anything when it is completed.
    • Swap to the cambridge nats - that have not yet been accredited (can we use what we have already done for unit 1??)
    • Swap to a GCSE course - but we have already spent half of year 9 doing OCR nats so will now not have enough time to complete the recommended 120 glh.
    Totally confused - can we ask for our entry money back from OCR if we do decide to swap?

12. I am personally going to complete the course. We, like you, complete this in Year 9. I am then going to move onto the CamNat when it is accredited in the new academic year. The advantage for me is that we only offer ICT as an option at KS4 and then start afresh with the new qualification. And just in-case any of them drop out etc they will at least have something and I can let the 2010 spec die.
    No you cannot as this is now accessed through an exam.
    The Unit 21 work that you are doing will help them if you choose to compete the CamNat as Units R006 and R007 have these elements in them. However second time round they will make much better work and do it in less time.