1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr9 German options time

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sommersprossen, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I have given them the spiel about the importance of languages etc and they now have a couple of weeks before the deadline and I'm racking my brains for ideas for interesting topics/ways to teach because the section of the book we are in at the moment is deadly dull, but I'm having a bit of a block. Can anyone pass on any good ideas for truly engaging topics/activities? please!

2. I have given them the spiel about the importance of languages etc and they now have a couple of weeks before the deadline and I'm racking my brains for ideas for interesting topics/ways to teach because the section of the book we are in at the moment is deadly dull, but I'm having a bit of a block. Can anyone pass on any good ideas for truly engaging topics/activities? please!

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Food! Depending on the language, introduce some vocab, then the imperative, then teach them how to read a recipe, make them research a recipe from a country that speaks the language you teach, then get them to cook it at home and bring it in to school for a Come Dine With Me lesson where they judge each other's foods. I've done it for a couple of years in a row now and it's really engaging! Or you could get them to "play shop" with kiddie plastic food. You can then go on to healthy eating, or ordering food in a restaurant, which will make them think "hmm, this could come in handy if I go on holiday".
    Or how about music? You could introduce different music styles with a quiz, then get them to research a pop star they like, compare and contrast with a musician from the target country, get them to listen to one of their songs, then perhaps do a X-factor competition where each group presents a famous singer from the target country that they've had to research? I do that at AS level but I'm sure at an easier level Y9 could cope with it. I have made masks of Simon, Cherryl and co for that final lesson, it works a treat!
    Good luck, hope your option numbers work out! (did you explain the e-bac to them?)