1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

yr8 Musical help

Discussion in 'Music' started by julieh533, Mar 24, 2014.

1. As a lone Music teacher I need to decide on a Musical for our yr8 pupils to do before they leave (2015). I would like to do Grease but concerned over cost of Performing Rights etc.

Can anyone suggest any other musicals that I could consider? Has anyone ever used the Limelight Musicals like Poptastic or Dazzle before?

2. If you have a look on the MTI website and put in your budget and various other limiting factors it can bring up a list of appropriate shows for you..

www.mtishows.com/find_a_show.asp

I hope it helps!

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Back to the 80s has parts for lots of performers.

However, have you considered writing your own show? You could write a jukebox musical (so no need to write the songs). This way, you could design it so that you have the right show for your kids, choosing the songs that will feature their talents the best.

Writing a narrative to link these songs isn't that difficult.

You could even write a song for it.

Far more inspiring than tired, old Grease, Buggsy, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz kill me now.........

In my opinion.

4. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

There is a school version of Grease but it costs a LOT to put it on; the tracks can be edited but too many edits will costs you a packet. However, it plays back through an iPad. www.samuelfrench.com/.../grease-school-version You use the Show|Ready app.

When you say you are a lone music teacher (been there done that - oh, still am!) do you have a drama department? Have you experience of putting on a show? Presumably this is a mixed school. What band could you get together if you have live musicians?

What about 'Carrots' by Peter Canwell?

5. Thanks for the advice and sorry for the late response. Thinking copyright/performance right etc am I right in thinkg that as I am probably going to take the songs out of context of the orginal musical - change costume/scenery does the school license that we already have cover us?

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Last year our local primary did the Wizard of Oz. They actually told the children it was allowed because they had changed the name and weren't singing quite all of the songs! And no, I don't think that would be okay. If I'm right you can sing up to three songs from a show under your normal licence but they can't be staged or in costume. You're unlikely to get prosecuted but it's not a very good message to send children, that cheating is okay if you're fairly sure of not getting caught.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

As doitforfree says: maximum of three songs from any one musical, no staging, costumes, actions or scenery. The alternative is to choose a show specially written for schools (rather than for Broadway/West End) where the licence conditions and cost are more reasonable, or follow MrBronson's suggestion of writing your own musical.

8. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

We've just got a licence to do School's We Will Rock You next year. It was only 175 - when we looked at grease it was in the region of 600!