1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

yr7 optional tests 'Then and Now'

Discussion in 'English' started by JJO, May 30, 2007.

1. JJO

JJO

We have used the optional tests 'Then and Now' as our Yr7 mock exam paper. I have brought home the papers to mark and the markscheme, but stupidly left the threshold levels at school. Can't find anything on the net. Can anyone help please.

2. JJO

JJO

We have used the optional tests 'Then and Now' as our Yr7 mock exam paper. I have brought home the papers to mark and the markscheme, but stupidly left the threshold levels at school. Can't find anything on the net. Can anyone help please.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Perhaps it's just me- being out of touch - as I don't do classroom work at all any more - but it hasn't been that long. (And as a marker/examiner etc. I'm au fait with most aspects of external assessment.)

"Mock exams" for Y7? When they won't do any "real" exams until Y11?

Is this the norm nowadays? What are we coming to?

4. Hi JJO,
    Email me on:

2007.resources@googlemail.com

Then I will email you the level thresholds for the 2001 papers. Is it just the reading you want?

Shiny Star
    xxx
    ---

5. JJO

JJO

I know they face lots of exams, but these do help them prepare for the SATS as they are very similar. (Having said that I personally hate this particular paper.) However, it also gets them used to how to behave in exam conditions.

Many thanks shiny star x

6. markuss

But then I've heard SLT people say that the reason for doing the NCTs (all right, they may use the same misnomer that you did) in a hall is to prepare them for exam conditions two years later!

NCTs can be done in normal classrooms with the usual teacher in secondary schools just as much as in Primaries.

I reckon that exam prep is an excuse - it's just easier to stick them all in one big room.

7. markuss

Just to clarify why "Y7 Mocks" jars so.

When we first had national curriculum, tests were pointless because you obviously couldn't get a level through one piece of work (true in English, anyway). So school exams were done for - especially when GCSE with 100% c/w came in.

And, no, you didn't start practising going into the hall to work in silence in Y7 just because there'd be exam papers to do in Y13!

Those were the days!

8. LOL, Markuss! You and I must be of a similar age - I remember the, ahem, 'joys' of 100% coursework very well. I think it came to something like 13 pieces for each candidate if entering for Lang and Lit!

Realistically, though, I do believe that exam practice is important and I would support testing to target necessary skills that will be needed later on.

9. markuss

When it started, phoebe, it was ten pieces for English and ten different ones for Literature! very hard work and daft, really, because for any other pair of Subjects, you could use the same pieces of work.

However, coursework was becoming more and more rational until some politician decided that there must be the "terminal" exam.

Yes, I agree that exam technique needs teaching. But a practice exam in Y7 for a Y7 practice exam for an NCT in Y9 that has to be in exam conditions because of Y11?

Going a bit far, don't you think? Gives the impression that it's only test/exam scores that matter.

10. JJO

JJO

Just to clarify my point here. Our Year 7s (and 8s)have a benchmark piece to complete at the end of each unit of work. They also have the optional test (in the classroom, not the hall)as an anual exam. Both sets of marks, along with the teacher's assessment of progress go towards tracking pupil progress and help define setting. The pupils understand how it works and no considerable pressure is put on them to perform under rigorous exam conditions. It is, however, a taster for the NCTs in yr9.