1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr6 - Yr7 Transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gisseygirl, May 28, 2013.

1. I am a Lead Intervention Teacher for in a secondary school. This year I would like to improve the level of information that we receive about the students who may need additional/ differentiated support on entry in Yr7 and the types of support and intervention that have already taken place, its successes and length of time etc.. From Sept I will be leading a transition group of Level 3 and below students who will follow a differentiated timetable that will focus on literacy and numeracy. We currently look at data, including sats, cats and NFER reading (multiple choice) but students still seem to slip through the net. Can anyone share with me the types of activities and processes that Primary school teachers and sencos experience for exchange of information in your primaries? How does your local feeder secondary collect information and aid transition for your yr6 students?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Data is not everything.

Do you visit your local feeder primaries and meet with the member of staff responsible for SEN, LAC, etc., and the member of staff responsible for Year 6?

3. magazine

magazine New commenter

Sounds like not enough communication goes on. We have a rolling programme of visits each year. Also year 7 staff visit, talk to us, meet the students, quite early on. year 7 staff attend year 6 SEN review meetings, meet with parents etc etc etc. Those children with SEN or concerns about transition, visit more often, meet with SEN staff in the department in year 7. Our SEN staff meet with year 7 SEN staff. They discuss individual needs and transition arrangements that will need to be in place. Pupils visit as often as they can. In latter weeks with us, this is all part of the provision package.

4. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

From personal experience as a Y6 teacher, meet and listen to the class teacher. My local secondary school visit once to speak to the children who then have a day at their new school in July. I am asked to complete teacher assessment levels, SEN provision and social groups which then seem to be completely ignored. Only last year 2 girls who i recommended to be kept apart were put in the same tutor group and are now causing problems. Have had phone calls from head of Y7 to ask if the girls had issues last year and if the parents were supportive! Had someone read my notes this could be avoided. There is no choice for parents and therefore no incentive for the secondary school to court primaries. I feel ignored and be littled, some parents come back with comments that have been made in parents evenings for y7 along the lines of "didnt they do that at primary" one comment was made about children who didnt know how to use a scientific calculator, my head complained. The local grammar school also targetted a child to achieve L6 by the end of y7, said child had achieved this in end of ks2 tests.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We feed into at least five different secondary schools each year ( and we only have around 10-12 Year 6's to share amongst them! ) Of the five only 2 can even be bothered to discuss the children with us, we go through levels ( SATs and normal!) discuss friendships, strengths and weaknesses, family circumstances, interventions used, IEPs etc. Both schools have said how useful they find this. One asks for friendship groups ( and then ignores them) and the other two don't bother doing anything.

Please TALK to the Year 6 teachers, I have taught my current year 6's for 5 years and know almost everything about them you could possibly wish for ( and much you wouldn't want to know!) Data on a page tells you diddly-squat about a child!

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I've already posted to this effect on the Secondary forum version of this post, but pleased to see that primary teachers nationwide all have the same message for their secondary colleagues:

TALK TO US!

Primary teachers know their children inside out. They can tell you which child's dad walked out three years ago but returned, leading to a slightly chaotic six months which affected reading progress, but surprisingly not maths, although that particular child still struggles massively with repetitive tasks like tables recall because of a lack of substantial practice, and that using concrete methods is not as effective for him as using sketches. No amount of data will tell you that.