1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr6 writing moderation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 3toeddave, May 19, 2017.

1. 3toeddave

3toeddave New commenter

Sats feels like two minutes ago and I'm now sat dreading opening my email in case I'm getting moderated. The joys of yr6!! Good luck all

bevdex, misshughessph and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

Hertfordshire LEA have informed schools that they will let participating schools know today so if we get to 5pm unscathed then happy days. Touch wood and fingers crossed! :(

bevdex and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. richbreeds

richbreeds New commenter

Yes- I am hoping today that we will hear nothing and we won't be moderated!

4. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

Is today the nationwide deadline or just for particular counties? I think ours said they would contact us all today.

5. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

We ARE being moderated, just when I thought it was safe to go back into the classroom.....

6. hawkesley

hawkesley New commenter

Has anyone in Birmingham heard?

7. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

I was convinced we would be moderated this year but head informed me today we were not. Still, lots of voluntary inter-school moderation to do - important to get perspective and be as fair as we can. I have been on a couple of courses and I'm just starting to be clear about the "new interpretation" since last year. The whole process is such a mess still. How much money could be spent on proper teaching if SATs were scrapped. Does anyone have a figure on what it costs to admin, mark SATs and officially moderate? I would love to know.

8. louise1202

louise1202 New commenter

Well we are being moderated AGAIN. We were moderated last year (with all judgements agreed) so I had been quite confident that I would not have to endure it again this year. I am concerned it might not be so easy this time- maybe moderators have had more training and a keen eye to tighten up on things. But I cannot understand why we have been selected again.

9. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

We were told today that we have been selected.

I am suddenly very nervous!

10. Miss Bunny

Miss Bunny New commenter

We have also been selected this year when we were moderated last year (and two years prior to that - makes a bit of a mockery of that four year cycle of official moderation when you're moderated three out of four years). Makes me wonder why they pick on certain schools and leave others to their own devices.

11. louise1202

louise1202 New commenter

I agree - feels very unfair.
    I am feeling concerned about showing the shifts of formality for the GDS children: I had thought this was a case of them using informal quotes in a newsreport, or adding casual 'fun facts' to an otherwise formal text. However, I've read some more recent guidance and I haven't quite got the concept secure in my head so I certainly haven't intentionally exposed the children to it- which means I am going to struggle to find it and discuss it. My weekend homework

12. somethingbeautiful

somethingbeautiful New commenter

Have you seen the documents on bradford.gov.uk? I found them really useful.
    We still don't know if we are being moderated but we do know Y2 are so hopefully they won't come to KS2 as well.

13. hawkesley

hawkesley New commenter

Have you got a link? Can't find them and you've caught my interest!

14. somethingbeautiful

somethingbeautiful New commenter

15. hawkesley

hawkesley New commenter

Thank you

16. Miss Bunny

Miss Bunny New commenter

We only have a handful of pupils to put forward for GDS. I really detest the current system of assessing writing. It sucks the pleasure out of writing and punishes weaker spellers (who are already punished in the spelling test) whilst making more work and stress for teachers.

louise1202 and hawkesley like this.
  17. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

I am the Lead Moderator in my LA. The reason I undertake this (godforsaken) role each year is that I endured years of frustration witnessing the injustice meted out towards pupils as a result of two - often quite inane or bizarre - writing tasks which were marked by people who had never set foot in a Year 6 classroom and, due to a lack of experience, could not make a professional judgement beyond the texts provided as exemplars. This punished both ends of the ability range. Year 6 teachers, such as myself, do not receive additional payments (unlike those who marked the writing tests) and have to provide planning for our supply teachers at a very tumultuous and exhausting time of year, i.e Leavers' performances/sports days/57 varieties of transition meetings etc.
    Be very careful what you wish for. To say that the process exhausts me, is an understatement but I'd rather have someone who has been through a year with a Y6 class, than someone who is making a judgement on a year's worth of blood, sweat and tears on the basis of a few exemplars.

18. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

We aren't this year. We were moderated last year. The moderation itself wasn't a bad experience but it wasn't pleasant knowing it was coming. Sympathise with those who are feeling the pressure. I believe there was a lot of inconsistency in the moderation last year. The current system just isn't quite right. Too many high stakes and lack of trust.

19. Miss Bunny

Miss Bunny New commenter

I have also been through many years of writing tests and felt they were terribly unfair and results were often inconsistent, I agree on that. However, I do find the current secure fit model is very unforgiving and draining for all concerned. I never thought I would miss levels, but the best fit model was more manageable for me personally.

20. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The assessment of writing is likely to return to a 'best-fit' model next year.