1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr5 poetry: imagery with a space theme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by donna1107, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I teach a mixed yr5/6 class, but whilst yr6's do their SAT's, ive been given the task of doing poetry with the yr 5's. There are around 38 of them!!! Basically it needs to be poetry looking at imagery, eg use of similes/metaphors etc, but id like it to be on a space theme. Does anyone has any suggestions on a weeks worth of planning? We're looking at the planets in music, so could link it in to that when they come to writing their own. Just after some good example to look at during the week, leading up to them writing their own space poem.

2. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

In the past with Y5 I've done some metaphor list poems on a space theme eg the moon is a football kicked into space (that's a line from an example poem which I think is called The Moon Is... but I don't know who it's by), the Sun is a splash of orange paint on the canvas of space. Not sure if that's the sort of thing you're after and it wouldn't last a week, although it could be part of your work if you also linked to music like you mentioned.

3. thanks for that, that poem sounds great, ill c if i cant search for it