1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr5 30min reading session based on a book and activity. Ideas Please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gaynorryan123@h, Jan 30, 2019.

1. gaynorryan123@h

gaynorryan123@h New commenter

I have an interview for a yr 5 class, with a lesson observation for 30 minutes. The task is a reading session based on a book and activity of my choice - it is to be based on the Y5 curriculum.
    I have checked on the school web and they have been doing The Vikings this term so I thought perhaps that may be an idea ( although the may be all 'Vikinged out
    The other area they have on L.T.P. is Jesus - teaching and its impact on people ( It is a church school )
    I was trying to link in with their LTP as they mention linking to Yr 5 curriculum

I am not based in a school at the moment so haven't got many resources so for text would probably need to download pages from the net and try to get a hard copy from the library.
    Any ideas would be great - I am so pleased to get an interview but am in a panic mode now !

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I don't think just weeks in they'd be too bored yet.

You need to start by identifying some aspect of the Yr 5 objs and then deciding which text to use.

3. gaynorryan123@h

gaynorryan123@h New commenter

Thank you Lara will check the reading objectives.
    I have been informed by the school that the Vikings was the old LTP and they have changed this to the Ancient Greeks.
    I have found in my collection at home
    Orchard book of Greek Myths ( longer text each story 2 to 8 pages)
    Aesop's Fables (shorter text about 100 words each story) .
    Percy Jackson novel.
    Any help on how to split the lesson with timings would be great reading v activity v conclusion . How much reading should they do or I do - I didn't want to do all the reading with them listening or have one or two read out loud I wanted something a bit more engaging and interactive to start them off.
    Any ideas please.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

would be great for Ancient Greeks topic. Short text and get a 'child friendly' version-there's lots about.

We always advise not to say too much on an open forum, as Heads frequent these boards and you don't want your lesson to appear as not your own and you lose out on a job.

however having said that I happen to know if you check the objs, Fables should fit in beautifully.

You only have 30 mins. 3-5 mins intro., 5-7 mins starter/teaching input and 5 mins plenary, you rapidly see leaves you with around 1015 mins main activity, so work out realistically what you can fit into that time scale.