1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr3-6 in the same class, any tips/advice?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon255, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've moving to a small school in September and will be teaching all of KS2 in the same class (approx 30 children).
    I'm excited about the challenge, but having never taught in this way before I would be really grateful to know how other people plan for/manage a class like this and also if there are any resources anywhere which would help when planning literacy and maths for this type of class.
    Thanks in advance!
    UT

2. Supposed to be I'm

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

There are numerous websites offering examples of planning esp for numeracy.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. My guess is that there will be teacher support at least in the mornings for literacy and numeracy, making it Y3/4 and Y5/6, or some other setting arrangement.

I've supplied in about a dozen single form key stage classes. It's fun. Good luck.

6. Thanks for the replies x

7. I've always taught in small schools and have had 3 year groups in one class. It is a challenge but it's great- especially for the kids who learn so much from each other.
    I tend to differentiate by ability not age.
    Maths is probably the hardest because it's so progressive. I've found it easier to have 2 maths lessons- in 1 I'll teach y5/6 and the others may practice a skill in maths/other or complete work & then swap.
    Tend to do a rolling timetable so all children get teacher input etc.
    I do concentrate on y5/6 especially where homework is concerned.
    I always have a role play area works really well with mixed ages- even your hardest y6 will enjoy it with y3 and great for speaking and listening.
    finding time to read with all can be tricky- get a volunteer to help out with more able readers to give you time to concentrate on children who need it.
    Pick topics that have a wide scope.
    It's a balancing act that takes a lot of managing but is doable and very rewarding. You're trying to make your y6 ready for high school and trying to train your y3 to juniors and getting them all to make great progress!!!

Only down in my mind is you may end up teaching some kids for most/all of their junior life. It's a massive shock for them when they move to high school!

8. Thanks for your reply Olivia it's given me some things to think about, really like having a role play area so will definately set something like this up. I've thought about the fact that some could be with me for all their junior life, I suppose its a case of keeping things fresh each year and building their independance, but still it must be hard for them to adjust.
    Thanks again