1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr2 sats character profile

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Sorry, another sats related question. New to yr2 and just want to make sure I'm doing it all properly. Am doing Roald Dahl at the moment and am going to spend the last 2 weeks of term looking at the enormous crocodile. Gonna do practice non chron reports about a crocodile, and will then return to the text after Easter in order to write character description for sats task. Obviously after Easter we will only do role play work, art etc, but before Easter what can I get away with in terms of character prep. Can we brainstorm words to describe the character etc, look at how he gets hungrier throughout etc, or is this too leading?

2. Don't worry about having to try and get away with anything. You can do as much as you like about character descriptions, as the children need to understand what it means to write one. However, you cannot practise character descriptions using the character you will be using for the SATs task. You need to choose something different for this, otherwise they could be writing something in the task that they have already written. The SATs booklet should give you guidance about what prep you can do for the task on the morning of the task itself as there is a fair bit you can do to brainstorm on the day. Why don't you do your prep using Mr and Mrs Twit, or another Roald Dahl character?

3. rainbowdrop86

Thanks singup, am going to get them to do one of grandma from georges marvellous medicine, but you haven't quite answered my question. Gonna use enormous croc for sats, and will introduce the story before Easter. But obviously I want them to get to know his character as much as possible. Can I get them to brainstorm adjectives for him before Easter, or is that completely not allowed

4. Last year we did the Man on the Moon, so we read the story quite a bit in the previous weeks and as a natural part of reading, conversations would have been had about the book and things they had noticed about Bob and the story. It says somewhere in the guidance that It is important that the character is very familiar to them, so they have a good chance when they come to write about it, so reading it quite a few times before would be fine. The day before the task they hotseated me as Bob and did some drama. I then re-read it on the day of the test and I explained what they needed to do within the limits of what we allowed to do at that point (can't remember specifics at this point). You could brainstorm adjectives for him in discussion, you just can't write aspects of a character description, so I wouldn't get into any recording. I hope this helps.

5. rainbowdrop86

That does help a lot, thank you!