1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr1 science - sound and hearing experiment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by malwi, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hi everybody,
    I am teaching a science lesson on Monday (which is going to be observed!). It's about loud sounds and the "The closer the sound, the louder it is. The further away the sound, the quieter it is" experiment.
    Has anyone taught this lesson before and has got great ideas? I'd love to hear them as I'm feeling a bit shaky about science ... Thank you! :)
    Malwi

2. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

Hello I have a lesson for u I taught the exact same object with a year 1 class. Get a music triangle and get a child or your ta to ting it in different areas of the school. After to tinging it in one area ask the children ahi heard it and record using a tally. Then Ask the childre .... Was it harder to hear the sound of the triangle when it was far away? That will answer ur objective. You could also xo the same activity with a whistle. Then ask each child go draw a picture with a sentence about where they last heard the sound. What does it tell us about sounds thT are far away?
    I hope this helps u :) x

3. thanks, kym131218! how would you record the findings using a tally chart? xx