1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YR Y1 Mix - Introductions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Crownie13, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am going into a YR Y1 mixed class and was wondering if anyone had advice?
    Particularly, did you keep them together for numeracy/literacy/foundation subjects?
    I know for literacy and numeracy there will be times where they have to have seperate introductions/activities but ideally I would like to try have differentiated introductions/activities where topics are the same and thus shared e.g. addition. Did this work well for anyone?
    I am particularly struggling with numeracy because YR need to start with counting activities whereas Y1 will be far ahead of this, also my YR come in staggered over 4 weeks.
    Any advice appreciated! :)

2. Hi,
    I am going into a YR Y1 mixed class and was wondering if anyone had advice?
    Particularly, did you keep them together for numeracy/literacy/foundation subjects?
    I know for literacy and numeracy there will be times where they have to have seperate introductions/activities but ideally I would like to try have differentiated introductions/activities where topics are the same and thus shared e.g. addition. Did this work well for anyone?
    I am particularly struggling with numeracy because YR need to start with counting activities whereas Y1 will be far ahead of this, also my YR come in staggered over 4 weeks.
    Any advice appreciated! :)

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I have nursery reception and year one mixed. I'll only tell you about that which I do with R and Y1 tho.
    All children do phonics every day in differentiated groups
    At the start of the year reception and y1 both do a short taught session of either maths or literacy. As the year progresses year one do both maths and literacy every day. Foundation subjects are generally taught in the afternoon, but because of the way EYFS works some of this is covered by making links in the morning. I use objective led planning so I still deliver maths and literacy when I am playing (teaching) with the children.

By doing this I am able to provide the 'teacher time' for all of my children as everyone has an entitlement to my time. As the year ones need to be doing more follow up later in the year I may stay with them or leave them with my TA or leave them to work alone.

Does this make sense to you? I hope so!

Year one also need to start with counting and you can simply start everyone together, then send off reception and keep y1 for further development. Year one counting is in the guise of place value, reading writing numbers to 20.

Hope this helps.

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

B l oo d y iPad. Just looked at the date on this!! :oops: