1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YR plus a YR/1 mix class...please help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LauraJeanD, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Hi guys!

I will try to keep this brief. Basically we have an intake of 40 at our school resulting in one pure YR class (which I teach) and one mixed YR/1 class (10 YR and 20 Y1). We are finding this REALLY hard. We have made many changes this year to try to make sure the 10 YR in the other class have the same experience as the 30 in my class. We have made the classrooms more free flow so that the YR from the other class can come into my classroom freely and the coridoor between is used heavily plus outside area is shared.

We are finding a few things very tricky. How is my colleague supposed to get a thorough understanding of where here YRs are in their learning if she is always needing to be with Y1 to deal with the national curriculum stuff? I know lots of people teach year 1 in a similar way to EYFS but we have 30 other Y1 children in split year groups with Y2 who are challenged in a more formal way.

I am doing all the planning for YR at the moment but don't feel like I know the 10 children in the other class and feel like they're being left out when activities in my class are linked to our inputs which they aren't present at. How would you guys deal with this situation? I'm really keen to hear from others who have a pure year R class and a YR/1 mix....x

2. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Anybody got any experience with this? Sorry, I'm desperate.

3. Hi there,
    This was exactly the situation in my school last year. If you message me your email address I will email you how we managed the situation.
    You have my sympathy, it's extremely hard.

4. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Thank you SO much! I will do that!