1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 9 Short Course

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by carmic76, Jan 5, 2011.

1. We are in process of reviewing what we offer our students.
    One area we are looking at is offering our more able/ GT students some form of qualification during Yr 9. This in turn will hopefully boost our grades at the end of KS3 and to encourage student to opt for DT at KS4.
    I was wondering if any one does this kind of thing in the dept and if so what qualifications you offer.
    Thanks

2. We are in process of reviewing what we offer our students.
    One area we are looking at is offering our more able/ GT students some form of qualification during Yr 9. This in turn will hopefully boost our grades at the end of KS3 and to encourage student to opt for DT at KS4.
    I was wondering if any one does this kind of thing in the dept and if so what qualifications you offer.
    Thanks

3. I am thinking of doing the same and offer AQA Design and Technology Short course which i deliver to current GCSE and due to the placement of options its not doing too well in popularity.
    worth a look anyway

4. re

re New commenter

W started doing this last year and have had great success. If you take the standard grade/level equivalences (C= level 7, D=level 6 etc.) you will massively boost figures at the end of KS3. Motivation is high, as the students opt to follow, the RM, Graphics, Textiles or Food routes - we have entirely cut out the 'Im not going to bother as Im not doing the subject next year' attitude. All students do it - not just GT.

5. Do your examples include food?