1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 9 parents evening

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by charmedimsure, Jan 30, 2011.

1. my son is in yr 9 and has a statement for Aspergers and dyspraxia. He is the youngest of my twins. He is academically able but is quite socially isolated both at school and out of it and is emotionally immature. At his recent AR the teachers were pleased with him and said he is a hard worker. English teachers (he has 2) said he can be a little chatty in class. The Senco and I actually felt quite pleased about this in a strange way because at least it implied he might be interacting with some of his peers.
    On Friday it was parents evening. Always stressful for me as I have double the number of teachers to see and I'm by myself. The 2 English teachers said they were NOT very happy with his progress. Most of his work is now level 5/6 and he does no seem to be progressing. They suggested ideas and reasons which were helpful. Then asked why son did not take more notice of EBIs (even better ifs) given during peer marking. He said it was because they are not teachers. He didn't mean this in a rude way but that is how his mind works. The oldest of the teachers then said ' Do you know I think you are disrespectful'. I thought she was referring to what he had just said but instead carried on to say that they way he talks over her in class shows no respect to her and he seems to have little regard for other students when they are trying to talk. I must admit I was very shocked. Not that they had said this but the way it was said and with other parents and students sitting near by. I then found out that he had had several lunchtime detentions because he had forgotten his text book on 2 occasions and another time they thought his book was disorganised and extra sheets had not been stuck in correctly. I did try to explain that his organisation is a very big problem for him but we do work hard on it and that detentions would probably not work for him. They said I was wrong and they would continue to give detentions to him every time they felt it necessary. I came away from this meeting so shocked and upset. I have phoned the senco and told her what happened and she is furious as neither teacher had reported any problem to her.

2. my son is in yr 9 and has a statement for Aspergers and dyspraxia. He is the youngest of my twins. He is academically able but is quite socially isolated both at school and out of it and is emotionally immature. At his recent AR the teachers were pleased with him and said he is a hard worker. English teachers (he has 2) said he can be a little chatty in class. The Senco and I actually felt quite pleased about this in a strange way because at least it implied he might be interacting with some of his peers.
    On Friday it was parents evening. Always stressful for me as I have double the number of teachers to see and I'm by myself. The 2 English teachers said they were NOT very happy with his progress. Most of his work is now level 5/6 and he does no seem to be progressing. They suggested ideas and reasons which were helpful. Then asked why son did not take more notice of EBIs (even better ifs) given during peer marking. He said it was because they are not teachers. He didn't mean this in a rude way but that is how his mind works. The oldest of the teachers then said ' Do you know I think you are disrespectful'. I thought she was referring to what he had just said but instead carried on to say that they way he talks over her in class shows no respect to her and he seems to have little regard for other students when they are trying to talk. I must admit I was very shocked. Not that they had said this but the way it was said and with other parents and students sitting near by. I then found out that he had had several lunchtime detentions because he had forgotten his text book on 2 occasions and another time they thought his book was disorganised and extra sheets had not been stuck in correctly. I did try to explain that his organisation is a very big problem for him but we do work hard on it and that detentions would probably not work for him. They said I was wrong and they would continue to give detentions to him every time they felt it necessary. I came away from this meeting so shocked and upset. I have phoned the senco and told her what happened and she is furious as neither teacher had reported any problem to her.