1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 9 high ability set texts

Discussion in 'English' started by steph25, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Help please??? I am looking for a new text to use with high ability Yr9s. Does anyone have any suggestions of texts that they have used that have worked well? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Mrs Goatstrangler

Mrs Goatstrangler New commenter

My Yr9 classes (all girls) love Witch Child by Celia Rees. I've taught it for several years now and never tire of it myself. The themes of witchcraft, voyages of discovery, the New World and discrimination are rich areas for further research and plenty of creative writing.

3. Persepolis is good. Also have done both Frankenstein (the novel) and Dracula with year 9 sets.

4. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

If you're not with an exam board which uses it at KS4, I'd recommend Heroes. One of those novels with layers of meaning which more able students will engage with, although still readable for less able, if you need to justify your budget.
    Another one is The Hunger Games. Again, less able students would like this novel, but more able will really engage with the many socio-historical themes. And it's being made into a film! Comparisons are always a great springboard for discussion!

5. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Lenstone, I'd be interested in how you taught Frankenstein - ie how much you actually covered, passages focussed on, activities, etc.

To contribute: Covered 1984 with my set last year (and did it myself at that age!). I've also looked at some of Poe's short stories, which the classes enjoyed.

6. Thanks jarndyce, I quite fancy 1984. Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any teaching resources that you would be willing to share?

7. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

I've just done "Lord of the Flies" with my top set and feel they got a lot out of it. It's on some of the GCSE specs but I know it's not a text on the route we are following. Loads of resources available for it too.

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I was taught Lord of the Flies when I was in Year 9. With a high ability group, I would recommend going through resources for GCSE texts that you know your students won't do, and just differentiating them down. The work I did on Poe, for example, was adapted from a GCSE scheme of work.

re 1984 - will send you a private message next week if that's ok? It was all rather disorganised and rushed in the last half term of last year, so not many resources on computer. Am on half term still so need to be in school to check one of last year's Year 9 exercise books to see what on earth they actually did!

9. 'The Outcasts of 19 Schulyer Place' by E.L.Konigsburg and Miller's 'The Crucible' always
    go down well with my high ability Year 9 :)