1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 7 Science induction lesson!

Discussion in 'Science' started by HasnaTufal, Jun 20, 2011.

1. HasnaTufal

HasnaTufal New commenter

Hi all, I am a science teacher returning to work after a 4 year break. I got a job from september but found out last week that they want me to come in for the year 7 induction day as I am going to be a yr 7 tutor and also teach Science to the new year 7 groups on the day. They don't have any previous plans. Now, what I need is an exciting lesson plan. I am trying hard to decide if it should be a fun lesson with a few experiments, should it be Chemistry, Biology or Physics. I had a plan of doing a Murder Mystery so a Forensic science based lesson which I had once upon a time done in my previous school but it was so long ago I cannot remember anything much. Any ideas from anyone planning one of these would be appreciated.

2. HasnaTufal

HasnaTufal New commenter

Hi all, I am a science teacher returning to work after a 4 year break. I got a job from september but found out last week that they want me to come in for the year 7 induction day as I am going to be a yr 7 tutor and also teach Science to the new year 7 groups on the day. They don't have any previous plans. Now, what I need is an exciting lesson plan. I am trying hard to decide if it should be a fun lesson with a few experiments, should it be Chemistry, Biology or Physics. I had a plan of doing a Murder Mystery so a Forensic science based lesson which I had once upon a time done in my previous school but it was so long ago I cannot remember anything much. Any ideas from anyone planning one of these would be appreciated.

3. I am going to teach them how to use bunsen burners - so a bit of input on safety, how to light, different flames - then i will let them do some flame tests - the fun bit.... and maybe heat a small piece of copper - to see it go black - but there will still be a coppery bit underneath where the tongs have been when they put back down on the heat proof mat. each child will be given a bunsen burner licence - a certifcate to say that they can light and use a bunsen safely... which i will enciurage them to bring back in sept.
    HTH

4. Star_Teacher

Star_Teacher New commenter

this sounds like a good induction lesson!
    Maybe include some methane bubbles? get them really excited and can show them how science can be exciting and fun in a controlled, safe environment.

5. Hi
    Keep it really simple and do bunsen safety. We have our new yr6's in for two lessons inductions (10-14 school) and we easily fill two lessons on safety, why a lab is not like a usual classroom etc. They get to draw and label bunsens, and work in pairs to set them up and then 2nd half of 2nd lesson they get to light them. They leave all chuffed and feeling grown up - magic!
    Good luck :)