1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 7 Maths levels

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by charmedimsure, Jun 22, 2009.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

So at what point would you introduce ideas like the names and properties of shapes, collecting and displaying data, and patterns / sequences?

2. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

Could I suggest you assess your child yourself?

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm

That will then give you a correct answer and the piece of mind you would like. As a teacher this would of been my first response as the original result may of been an erroneous.

3. pixel

pixel New commenter

I'm very glad you got an answer though not in the preferred way .
    As far as your other question goes (I'm a secondary HoD) and though our primaries prepare pupils well in the 4 operations, I find trouble in their application.
    From Yr 8 onwards most tests are calculator only, as is real life. I find that using the maths and understanding the beauty of number is lacking.

4. What worries me most about this whole thing is that 2 very experienced teachers, one a subject leader, could have looked at his paper and marked it and genuinely believed it was a level 4b. Doesn't really matter whether they were given the wrong marking scheme, I would think it might have been obvious that this particular pupil was nowhere near a level 4.

5. pixel

pixel New commenter

I have to agree that I (as a class teacher) would be alerted straightaway if a 3c child scored 4a (or similar).
    It is a question of knowing your students well enough.