1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

yr 6 leaving little gift ideas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by druscilliah, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Afternoon all :) I'm making up little gift bags for my yr 6 when they leave in a few weeks. So far I've ordered the bags and some little charms inscribed with the word "laugh" on them. Im just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what else I could put in them? Obviously I don't wany to ve spending too much! Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

2. Why? No, seriously, why? Do you imagine a doctor buys the patients they have treated little gifts when they're discharged from hospital? Does your soliciotr buy you a gift when they finish doing your conveyancing?

They're about to get 6 weeks of no school and then a whole new experience. And THEY ARE NOT YOUR KIDS!

cyolba, do all Primary teachers think they are surrogate mothers? :)

3. Of course we do :)

4. 576

576 Established commenter

When I left Junior School (long before it was called yr6) my teacher gave each of us a class photo with a personal message written on the back.

I did the same with my first tutor group when they left yr 11, put the photos in cards with a copy of a poem I wrote about the group as a whole and added personal comments.

5. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

I once laminated the words to "The River" by Garth Brooks on coloured card, about A5 or 6. We had been learning it in class. When I first introduced it the kids were not keen at all but when they heard some of Garth's more rocky numbers they became more interested. I had to agree to let them listen to most of the album every day and they were genuinely proud of themselves for learning it. We sang it as part of our Leavers Mass eventually - a tear in my eye obviously.

Years later I met one of the boys and he told me he still had his laminate :)

Perhaps you could find an inspirational song that your children relate to or ask them to come up with their own phrases?

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Pens, pencils, ruler, all the stuff they don't bring to secondary school!

7. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Actually Y6 often love pens, pencils and rubbers. My own children did at that age, and one of them got a pretty pen (kittens or flowers on it) and a note book from her Y6 teacher which she loved. The teacher had written something personal inside the notebook.

8. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

You could make them each a special certificate with a reason for enjoying teaching them and good luck wish for the future.

ie. thank you Jonny for being such a fun person in our class this year!

Or -thank you Leah for always being helpful to others. Etc

9. I think something personal - like most of the other posts have suggested - will be most valued. For those kids that manage to keep hold of them they are the things they'll remember when they're older.

If you want to get something else though little stationary items are good and cheap for the most part, and most kids are excited to receive them.

10. But what do you give to the little shytbuckets that you hated seeing as they walked into the room every day? You know of whom I speak...

cyolba, why are those kids never ill? :)

11. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I used to give them each a card and wrote on it one thing I would remember about them! Sometimes it was hard!! Sorrim x x