1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YR 5 Spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imla, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I am in real need of some help for spelling.
    I am in Year 5 and introducing teaching spelling patterns and doing weekly spelling tests and I was hoping someone out there might be able to help. Do any of you have lists of spelling words, different spelling patterns which I can use? I'm thinking of things like a week on looking at turning f to v when looking at plural words, e.g knife - knives, scarf - scarves.
    I would very much appreciate it!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I have these lists in resources:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/SPELLING-LISTS-Year-5-Summer-Term-6076707/
    but I have just spent a lot of time revising these and have now produced autumn, spring and revised summer lists. I was going to upload them into Resources as soon as I get a chance, but if you PM me your email I can send them on to you.
    They are matched to the Support for Spelling 2 and Spelling Bank objectives.

3. That would be wonderful! Thanks so very much!

4. I'll try to paste in my explanation of irregular plurals.

<font face="Times New Roman">Plurals of Nouns</font> Calf &ndash; calves
    elf &ndash; elveshalf &ndash; halves </td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">leaf &ndash; leavesloaf &ndash; loavesself &ndash; selves </td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:97.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">sheaf &ndash; sheavesshelf &ndash; shelvesthief &ndash; thieveswolf &ndash; wolves</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:86.35pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">knife - kniveswife &ndash; wiveslife &ndash; lives </td></tr></table><font face="Times New Roman"> Others take the normal <&ndash;s> ending </font> Beliefs, briefs, chefs, chiefs, gulfs, proofs, reefs, roofs, safes, serfs.Child &ndash; children
    foot &ndash; feetgoose - geese</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:105.75pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">louse &ndash; liceman &ndash; menwoman - women</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:105.75pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">mouse &ndash; micetooth &ndash; teethperson - people</td></tr></table>

5. The listing has ended up messed up because I took a whole page from one of my books.
    I'll try again with separate paras.
    <font face="Times New Roman">Plurals of Nouns</font> , ).

<font face="Times New Roman">3. Some nouns which end in <-f> or <-fe> change to <-ves>:</font> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse:collapse;border:medium none;" class="MsoTableGrid"><tr><td style="padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:76.3pt;padding-right:5.4pt;padding-top:0cm;border:windowtext 1pt solid;">Calf &ndash; calves
    elf &ndash; elveshalf &ndash; halves </td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">leaf &ndash; leavesloaf &ndash; loavesself &ndash; selves </td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:97.6pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">sheaf &ndash; sheavesshelf &ndash; shelvesthief &ndash; thieveswolf &ndash; wolves</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:86.35pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">knife - kniveswife &ndash; wiveslife &ndash; lives </td></tr></table><font face="Times New Roman"> Others take the normal <&ndash;s> ending </font> Beliefs, briefs, chefs, chiefs, gulfs, proofs, reefs, roofs, safes, serfs.
    Buffaloes, dingoes, dominoes, echoes, embargoes, heroes,potatoes, tomatoes, torpedoes.
    <font face="Times New Roman">5. A few nouns are identical in the singular and plural</font> Bison, deer, moose, sheep; fish, salmon, trout, pike Child &ndash; children
    foot &ndash; feetgoose - geese</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:105.75pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">louse &ndash; liceman &ndash; menwoman - women</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:105.75pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">mouse &ndash; micetooth &ndash; teethperson - people</td></tr></table>

6. Not much better, but I hope u can copy and paste it into Word and see it better that way.
    For the main English spelling patterns and exceptions, see:

For common words with the main patterns:<font size="3"> [/URL]

For words with variant spellings: [/URL] words

7. I have some resources on Doubling Rules that I could send you. I also have Picture Posters for tricky words that children can look at and try to use the methods for words that they need to learn.
    margaret2612@btinternet.com