1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 5 lower set maths: division observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by donna1107, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi all. Im an NQT and am being observed by the head next week. It will b a numeracy lesson and we're looking at division that week. Just trying to roughly plan the week, so that i have a productive lesson to show her on the thursday. Was thinking of doing repeated subtraction using numberlines mon-wed, then looking at division as the inverse of multiplication on the thurs, so its a bit more than just answering questions for my observed lesson. Was thinking of given them a division problem, and as they explain the process to me, i arrange the counter etc into an array (which we've looked at for muliplication), then hopefully they'll spot the link. We could do some using pegboards, and get them to identify the linked multiplication sentence. What do you think

2. Hi all. Im an NQT and am being observed by the head next week. It will b a numeracy lesson and we're looking at division that week. Just trying to roughly plan the week, so that i have a productive lesson to show her on the thursday. Was thinking of doing repeated subtraction using numberlines mon-wed, then looking at division as the inverse of multiplication on the thurs, so its a bit more than just answering questions for my observed lesson. Was thinking of given them a division problem, and as they explain the process to me, i arrange the counter etc into an array (which we've looked at for muliplication), then hopefully they'll spot the link. We could do some using pegboards, and get them to identify the linked multiplication sentence. What do you think

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

What year group are you teaching, Donna? I think that showing them the array is a great idea and certainly what a lot of them need. I, personally, chunk up - this allows them to use numbers they will recognise as being multiples of the divisor, but whichever fits in with school calculation policy, I guess.
    I think it's really important that the children see that division can either be sharing or grouping and perhaps that can link to the different word problems.
    Anyway, good luck!

4. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

IGNORE ME!!!
    I'm so thick - it says the year group in your title! Duh! :(