1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

yr. 4 unit 1 poetry -creating images- Any suggestions for poems?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peepo, Aug 27, 2008.

1. peepo

peepo New commenter

I spent ages last night on internet looking for poems to use with this unit. My car is out of action so can't get to school for books at moment. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

This is the outline from framework

'Read a number of poems that use similes and other simple images to create a vivid picture. Perform poems, individually or in groups, using actions and sound effects where appropriate to heighten awareness of the language and imagery used. '

Thank you.

2. DJL

DJL

The Magic Box by Kit Wright is excellent for this - a really good stimulus for their own work and for some good artwork too.

3. peepo

peepo New commenter

Thank you for that.I t's one of my favourites,but I think it's a favourite with the year 3 teacher too so she may well have used with the class last year!

I haven't had a class for a couple of years so finding it a bit daunting getting back to finding all the resources!

I have managed to find a set of plans on Hamilton Trust so will use them as a starting point.

4. I have started planning this as well and have used the following website http://www.poetryarchive.org/childrensarchive/home.do

In the resource bank there is also The Sound Collector by Roger McGough and I also have a copy of If I were in Word which I am using and can send on to you if you like.

Fmath x

5. I use the poetry archive as well - Winter by Judith Nichols, Autumn Gilt (can't remember who) There is a nice feature that leads you from one poem to another as well.
    I also use as a model for their own poems the poem by Rober McGough 'The Writer of this Poem'
    Good luck

6. I am planning to share quite a few poems & get the children to share & then recite some of their choices. I've got some simple simile poems which will be useful for sharing imagery & then for the children to experiment with some imagery of their own. Later, one of the poems I'm planning to use is called Butterfly Hatching - pasted below (don't know who the poet is). The images are vivid & there is some use of simile. I thought the children could describe something else that unfurls - there are a few good quality bud to flower based videos on youtube. (There's a very tenuous link to the Tudor rose in there somewhere - he he!) Just some ideas for the melting pot!

7. Oh, that's a shame - the poem previewed with line breaks in all the right places & paragraphed it when I posted :(. Oh well!

8. peepo

peepo New commenter

Thank you for replying.

I'm pretty well sorted now thanks.

I have found illustrated copies of a few poems,including Sound Collector and Magic Box in resources on this site. Also have downloaded Hamilton Trust's poetry unit - it's one of their free resources- it has an animated wind poems by Christina Rosetti.

Have also found planning overview with all objectives from New Framework can't remember where from- think I just googled title of unit but could have been from here. I've trawled the World for different resources this week!!!

I've put all resouces into a file so could e-mail it if anyone wants it.

Thanks again for helping out -much appreciated.

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I used the ones from hamilton too...in addition, found a poem called the sea which contains personification!

10. peepo

peepo New commenter

Thanks Jog_on

Have you got the Title and name of the poet for the Sea poem? I saw a good one somewhere when I was first looking for ideas and thought I'd downloaded it, but now can't find it! I have so much on my USB pen it's all needs filing now to access anything quickly.

Have looked at the wikispace sites at the bottom of your post. Do you have to join each seperate one to view everything? Wanted to have a look at your Yr.4 Lit.-Historical stories. Have just ordered Terry Deary books- The teacher who had the class 4 before used 'The Wrinkled Queen' . I like to have a main author whenever possible ,and will now be using New Framework , so whole set will be great for Phase one .

Thanks

Peepo

11. Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to send me the copy of The Sound Collector that you have, I would really appreciate it.
    Many thanks, Katy
    katymercer9@hotmail.co.uk

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide