1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 4 Lit planning - historical settings linked to Tudors - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachelsharpe2, Aug 2, 2009.

1. I am trying to plan a Literacy unit for my class of Year 4s on 'Stories with historical settings'. I could use already existing planning but the problem is it is based on World War 2! We will be doing a lot of history on Rich and Poor Tudors and Henry VIII and his 6 wives, etc.. so I would really like to link the literacy to the Tudor setting.
    Has anyone planned this as a literacy unit? Does anyone know of any Tudor stories suitable for lower KS2 children?
    Any ideas will be gratefully received! Thank you.

2. I am trying to plan a Literacy unit for my class of Year 4s on 'Stories with historical settings'. I could use already existing planning but the problem is it is based on World War 2! We will be doing a lot of history on Rich and Poor Tudors and Henry VIII and his 6 wives, etc.. so I would really like to link the literacy to the Tudor setting.
    Has anyone planned this as a literacy unit? Does anyone know of any Tudor stories suitable for lower KS2 children?
    Any ideas will be gratefully received! Thank you.

3. We used the Terry Deary books such as 'The thief, the fool and the Big Fat King'. The children really enjoyed them and they are very easy to read and quite short. There is a series of 3 or 4 of them but can't remember all the names of the titles. I got them off amazon though so you should be able to find them easy enough. I used some extracts from 'The time Travelling Cat' for description but found the whole book a bit too difficult for the majority of my class because they are quite low ability. We also watched a few extracts from 'Shakespeare in Love' - although it is a '15' certificate it is quite easy to find parts with no swearing or unsuitable parts!!!

4. We have used a novel called 'Under The Rose' which was about a Tudor plot to kill Elizabeth I - very child friendly with good characterisation and not too long. Sorry I can't remember the author but could let you know at a later date. There is also a story called 'Will's Battle' (involving the Armada). It's copied so I am not sure of the original source. Have you thought of the Marcia Williams' Shakespeare in cartoons form?

5. I used 'Time flies' last term, a short story where a child goes back in time. Children really enjoyed it.

6. I have used a book called "King Henry's shoes" which the children in Year 4 found really funny last year- can't remember author

7. I am having a similiar problem - hence the recent new topic I just posted! I am new to the Juniors and Literacy Strategy as I have been in Reception for 3 years. I am lost with activities for the phases, so if anyone has any ideas please find my posting and send me some advice and ideas! I am also doing the Tudors, I have my books ready - just need the ideas now!

8. Hi there, just read your message and I hope you have had some luck with your planning! I m dong WW2 with a year 4 class and am struggling with the Literacy planning. I was just just wondering if you could offer any ideas from the planning you mention...?!
    Any help would be gratefully recieved - thank you!

9. I too am teaching this unit linked to WW2 and wondered if you could help. Huge thanks.

10. Hi there!
    The historical settings planning linked to WW2 that I have is the Yr 4 Scholastic planning which is taken from the Framework. It is quite a good book with a CD Rom for resources, eg. extracts to display on interactive whiteboard which can also be printed off, poster, interactive activities.
    I hope that helps.

11. My year 5s loved 'The devil and his boy' - think its Horowitz. Thought the detail and plot were great.

12. Thanks for all the ideas. I will take a look at those suggestions. :)

13. Hi Rachel,
    I am doing exactly the same as you this term, I have found this website quite useful http://www.marysmoffat.co.uk/bibliography/cont.htm and am going to order a couple of books from it - The Haswell Chronicals (S.Nuttall) and The Hagstone (D.Oakden) i think. Let me know what you have decided to do!
    Thanks, Jo