1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 3/4 Dance planning - HELP!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Sam69, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Hi

I have been asked to plan 4 sessions of dance for Yr 3/4 on the theme of life cycles and am struggling as none of our dance scheme of work fits the bill. Does anyone have any ideas or planning that they would be happy to share that could be used as a starting point?
    Thank you!

2. Hi

I have been asked to plan 4 sessions of dance for Yr 3/4 on the theme of life cycles and am struggling as none of our dance scheme of work fits the bill. Does anyone have any ideas or planning that they would be happy to share that could be used as a starting point?
    Thank you!

3. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

A lot of people try and over-complicate dance, people may refer you to dance schemes etc - best thing is to keep it nice and simple.
    You've been told life cycles as a theme - use Elton John's Circle of Life as the music. Each lesson look at a different aspect of the life cycle - with the last lesson being a performance putting it all together.
    Each session:
    Warm up - can be any activity to get them moving.
    Aspect of dance - demonstrate an aspect of the life cycle. Give pupils the creativity to go away and make their own version.
    Performance - pupils come back in and watch each other's performance.
    Repeat each week for a different aspect of the life cycle - then big performance at end (get chairs out, sell popcorn etc!). With the life cycle I would imagine 3 lessons would be birth, life and death. Doesn't have to relate to the Lion King but it is there as inspiration - you may choose to be a flower etc.

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

No probs. Always keep it simple. I've got weeks work before out of recreating the Steps 5,6,7,8 dance and linking it to the theme of the Wild West! I've also done the Macarena, linking it to Spanish / Latino dancing. Kids loved it! Dance is just expressive movement, as long as the pupils can state why they are moving like they are then all should be well!