1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 3/4 circle time activities on transition afternoon help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ems03, Jul 12, 2008.

1. as the title says really...I will have around 1 hour (probs just under) with them, and my year 3's are some of my current yr 2's so would like some ideas to entertain them plus learn my yr 4's names! Im stuck in KS1 mode!! Don't really want to do any "work" with them like rules etc as will be doing that on the first 2 days back! thanks for your help x

2. as the title says really...I will have around 1 hour (probs just under) with them, and my year 3's are some of my current yr 2's so would like some ideas to entertain them plus learn my yr 4's names! Im stuck in KS1 mode!! Don't really want to do any "work" with them like rules etc as will be doing that on the first 2 days back! thanks for your help x

3. amt

amt

SEAL materials on Changes has ideas for circle time and rounds you might find useful.

4. Hi,

I'm in the same situation as you, but will be keeping my year 3's.

I'm going to do a "getting to know you" circle time and will take the opportunity to ask the year 2's if there is anything that they are worried about about next year. My current class are doing a "How to survive in 3/4 guide tomorrow so we will hopefully have some sort of 5 minute presentation.

I am going to ask them to draw a picture of themselves for a jigsaw display and will probably get the whole class to complete an all about me sheet, just to give me an idea about their interests etc.

I have an hour and a half with my new class, with a short break in between, as that is what the year 2's will be used to and without a break it'll will be a long afternoon for them!

I'd stick with your instincts, and not do any work type activities or discuss class rules, it's best to leave that until September. I very much focus on getting to know the children and provide them with an opportunity to get to know me also.

Hope this is of some help to you?

5. hi there

I am meeting my new class tomorrow for the day, yr 3/4 after being key stage 1 trained. Activities planned are:

circle time - getting to know each other as some won't know each other. Also taking in a shoebox of things about me so they can see I am human!

Poems about themselves so can create a display - will have a4 card folded in in half - on top flap will be poem and underneath a photo of themselves so others have to guess who it is from description.

All abuot me sheet - facts about themselves and self portrait in middle for display

Last lesson - addressing blank postcards so over holidays can send in and then can discuss first week back.

Finishing with a story!

Hope this has helped, good luck, I am really nervous!

x