1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 2 Literacy obs- what do you think?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sillysausage21, Mar 19, 2011.

1. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

Hi all,
    Just wondered if anybody would mind sharing their thoughts on my observed literacy lesson...I would be very grateful for any advice/reassurance/criticism!!
    We have been doing lots of work on the Katie Morag stories and am planning to do character descriptions for the observation. So...
    - Share a description of Katie Morag with the chn- discuss does it create a picture in the mind etc.
    - Discuss what does the description include- eg looks/character/likes/dislikes
    - Chn to choose one of the grannie to describe to talk partner.
    - Chn to write their descriptions- Less able using writing frame, focussing on descriptive words. Middles focus on different sentences openers. Higher ability comparing and contrasting the 2 grandmothers therefore using more advanced vocab.
    - Plenary- chn to peer assess- do they know who is being described? Does it create a pic in their mind?
    Thank you for any help!

2. Hi
    Why don't you go into role as one of the grannies, or Katie? My year 2s love that and really go for it and it helps them to really see the character. They could hot seat you to find out more etc before they have a go doing it in talk partners. I have been observed in role a few times now and the response has been very good.

3. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. It really helps to be able to talk about ideas and you have given me some good reminders and added extras to think about!
    The previous day we are going to make 'character pockets' for the 2 characters so we will aleady have had time to think about the character's personality. I was thinking I would allow the chn to choose which Granny they want to describe so the class won't know who is describing which character.
    We don't have a visualiser but I will get the chn to swop books with a partner and look for the particular aspects in each others work as part of the plenary.
    Am concerned that the more able won't have had the language modelled for writing a comparative piece. But am now thinking of maybe putting keywords onto their table for them...will have to think a little more about this one!
    Thank you!

4. Why don't you work with the HA as a guided group?