1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 11 extra maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hammie, Jun 26, 2012.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

agreed!
    please please please NOT stats!
    in my opinion a lazy option, and many Maths bods of my aquantance really did not enjoy the stats part of their degree! Boring number crunching to many, just an easy way to get an extra GCSE for some schools.

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I would concentrate on problem solving skills and topics one doesn't encounter in the school curriculum, or encounters very little of.

Think of a watered down version of the kind of stuff one does with IMO kids. Also, have a look at books like Mathematics Masterclasses by Michael Sewell.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

For that sort of thing, the UKMT mentoring scheme sheets would be a good starting point.
    But I think the OP may be looking for a qualification - no doubt SMT will want to see a measurable return on money invested in extra maths teaching.

4. If it's a qualification I like the OCR FSMQ Additional Maths.

5. I'll second that. We are very pleased with the qualification which is proving popular with students prepared to give up their lunchtimes to study for it.

6. Many thanks to all the posters. Gives me a couple of options to do some research on.
    Much appreciated.

7. Edexcel Level 2 Further Maths - will stretch most pupils